Thanks for all of you writing to me!Let me explain... The problem with my left leg is that I can't put it down in a 90 degree position the way we usually sit. I have to prop it up. Also, my right leg is hurting as I have been putting too much pressure on it, so as to avoid using my left leg as much. Well, I wanted to finish my Dresden pillowcase. I was in a very good Pollyanna mood, except for wanting to sew so badly. Joe put his thinking cap on and then put a plastic box under my sewing table the height of a stool, so I could prop my leg up, and although it was hurting a bit, I managed to finish one of the Dresden pillowcases. Funny enough, Greg from Flat Out Quilting emailed me and suggested that I use a stool to prop up my leg. I told him that "great minds think alike." Thanks Greg!I used this video to do a tube pillowcase...You have to see this...It is such an easy way to make a pillowcase, and mine turned out so nicely. Here is the link.Anyways, the pillowcase is going to match the circle quilt that I will be making. I can't stay at the machine for too long, but at least we figured out a way for me to sew a bit at a time. I did the Dresden by hand sitting in my lounge chair with my leg propped up, and I will be doing a lot more hand sewing as my friend Kathy suggested. I love hand sewing alot and took some wonderful courses in the Dutch Country where I learned so many hand quilting skills. I have to admit that I love hand sewing of any kind more than machine quilting.
Glad that so many of you love Pollyannna. It is a good way to go through life with a smile on one's face. Joe is a bit worried, and I haven't been able to make him smile, as Simone asked me.
I know why he is especially worried. His mom went to the hospital for a heart problem , but she landed up dying of septicemia or blood poisoning due to her stay in the hospital. Understandibly, he does not want me going for surgery, and I told him that I won't unless there is no other alternative, so I am hoping that the surgeon will give me an alternative solution. I will have to see what the MRI shows. I really don't want my leg propped up all my life, so we will have to see.
Hope you like the Dresden pillow. I have the other one to do over the next day or two. With the AccuQuilt GO, the whole process was so much easier. I have cut out all the 63 circles for my circle quilt and fused them to the blocks using Heat and Bond Lite, so I will have to get that done slowly but surely. Of course without the leg problems, the quilt would go chic choc. At least Joe figured out how I could sew a bit.
Thanks for all of your caring emails!
29 comments:
Hope that in the next comment I will read better news about you and your leg. Hope so. The pic of the surrounding is marvelous. With love. Loredana.
Love the pillowcase and your determination!
I'm sending you my prayers for healing.
Billie
They do say necessity (sp) is the mother of invention ,and wheres theres a will there is a way ,you cant keep a good woman down ,Thankyou so much for the link to making the tube pillow case ,fantastic ...love Jan xx
I knew you would find away to sew today! The pillow is super cute and I will check out the link, thanks!
What a lovely pillowcase....glad you found a solution to your sewing delima and glad you can sew a little every day.
Many prayers are sent your way to have an alternative to surgery...I am with Joe but...if you need it, you need it.
I'm very sorry to hear about this problem- poor you. Its a blessing you like hand-sewing though, isn't it? I hope 'they' come up with some feasible solutions soon to ease your pain and make life easier for you. Thinking of you especially on Saturday when I was looking at the Donegal Mountains across the bay!
Micki there are many more people coming through surgery well than not. I think I would have it done if it gives me more freedom and less pain.
Hope all goes well for you.
hugs
Christine
Great to see you found a solution to being able to sew.
I hope the MRI brings good news, Micki.
I hope your knees heal swiftly.
Your pillowcase is awesome. Husbands are so great at helping up come up with great solutions and adaptations for our sewing issues!
Love the Pollyanna attitude!!! The Dresdan Plate pillocase looks fabulous and will definitely brighten up that room.
Yeah for Joe! Isn't YouTube amazing. I think you can find almost anything on there. And tell Joe that my mother in law became septic while in the hospital last year, but she pulled through even with pneumonia,and a heart condition. Still we are hoping you won't have to have surgery.
Perfect bright and happy pillowcase for your Pollyanna mood. Glad you are enjoying your GO cutter.
Oh your pillow case is wonderful! Thank goodness Joe was so smart!!!!
Love the pillow case! You take care of yourself .
well done on finding a way - but here is to hoping that the leg is better very very soon. love the pillow though!
xx
You poor thing! How awful and tortuous to have a GO! and yet have sewing be so painful! Your pillow case looks great, though. Maybe you need to get a circle die and whip up some yo-yos. Or how about a hexagon die to make hexies? You can sew both of those by hand.(Do they even have a hexagon die?)Or maybe it is a good time to do some needle turn applique. They have some cute shaped dies.
your pillowcase looks lovely. I have used that method for making the pillowcase. I think I saw the same video. But I plan to use my serger to make them from now on, it is even easier.
Hang in there, Micki! Hope you'll be up and around soon. Take care and keep your mind on your quilting. Bet you have all sorts of beautiful, comforting things to wrap up in.
Best wishes,
Catherine
I hope you will improve quickly and will not need surgery and the doctors find some alternative treatment for your leg.
The Dresden is so pretty. it was the first thing I did for a quilt.
Hi Micki, I love your attitude! I know what you mean by wanting to sew, when I broke my ankle i wanted to sew so much as well and i propped my leg too, but i couldn't stay too long.
Your pillowcase is so pretty!
I hope you get better soon and Joe can smile again!
I hope your problem has an easy fix and that you'll soon be back to full speed. Take care.
I hope this leg problem is just a minor set back and not somethng lifelong you'll be afflicted with, saying prayers here.
Your Polly Anna Pillow Case is sweet. It certainly seems like you are up to snuff playing the "glad game"'. Glad that Joe got a make shift stool made, glad you got to work on some sewing, glad you will be going to the Doctors,....
Listen to your body, the Go! will be there just waiting to make your life easier for you when you can get back into sewing. Jane
I was surprised how easy it was to do a pillowcase with hidden seams! Your pillow case is lovely and it's going to look great with the circle quilt.
I'm sorry to hear that your other leg is feeling a bit sore. I know Joe is taking good care of you, what a good guy to make sure you have a way to do the things you want to do.
Hey Polly Girl....that leg just has to heal!!! You got lots of business to take care of....not to mention my walking tour of All of Ireland!!!
I love the Dresden Pattern :)
Smiles,
Kelly
Your pillowcase turned out so bright and cheerful. Great job.
YAY! JOE! Checking in to see if you're doing better? Certainly hope so! Sending some warm Texas sunshine and Aloha for your health. *HUUGS* p.s. BIG Pollyanna fan here LOL! Dad always called me that lol!
I too love hand sewing and I am a firm believer that you need to rest that leg if it is to heal without surgery. So hand sewing and some pampering for you is definitely in order.
SewCalGal
www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com
Sorry to read about all the problems with your sore leg. You have a fantastic attitude and finding ways around it to get some crafting done,will hopefully make you feel a lot better too. It's very inspiring to hear you talking so positively, and that gorgeous pillowcase is pretty special too.
Thinking of you....
Post a Comment