Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Latest News About My Leg

I have some bad news....I had a setback...My leg had a severe lock today. I was sitting and forgot to put my leg up on a stool, and it locked very severely. Don't ask what the pain was like...It was excruciating for the half hour it took me to unlock my leg, and after I unlocked it, the pain is still there from trying to unlock it. I am seeing the surgeon on Monday. I will ask to have the MRI then to see what is going on as my injury was three months ago. Sadly, no sewing till I see the surgeon and see what he finds out.Joe made that very clear.LOL Can you believe that? I win a GO, and now I can't sew. The fabric for the pillowcases arrived from the Fat Quarter Shop, and I was going to cut it out, when I sat down to read the directions of how to do a tube pillow, and bam....my leg locks. I'm beginning to think I am jinxed. I have this sinking feeling that I will have to have surgery.
Well, I will tell you what happens on Monday. I am going to try to put my Pollyannna attitude into high gear, and really try to concentrate on the good things. Did you ever see that movie? It seemed to have a big effect on me as a person after watching it several times. I found myself always saying over the years, "I could have worse. There are people with so much worse." Pollyanna used to play the "glad game" where she tried to find something to be glad about in any situation. Ok, so here is how the "glad game" works.... I may need surgery, but then I get spoiled by Joe, buy myself one or two Wii games to play from my lounge chair, and basically get spoiled rotten. I have to admit that the Pollyanna attitude has gotten me some weird looks from Joe, who definitely doesn't see life through Pollyanna eyes. Thinking like Pollyanna has gotten me through a lot like cancer and a whole lot of other things. Ok, both my knees are shot...that is the reality of it, and this recent fall did not help, but I will do what I need to do and try to just get through it all the best way I can. I did smile when I looked up Pollyanna's pic...It brought back a lot of memories.When looking at the pic, do you remember that film? Well, it did make me smile today.....Now, if only I could get Joe to smile.
So keep your fingers crossed for me....a little luck wouldn't hurt.Where did the luck of the Irish go?

43 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awww...so sorry to read this, Micki!
Funny you should mention Pollyanna attitude and how it can help get one through stuff. I'm not like that, but my dear friend is always finding something positive in every situation, and I've thought I should try to be more like like her. Now you too! Oh me, I don't have a chance! Serious, I'm sending all good wishes for things to go well with your leg issues.

Carol said...

Sorry to hear the knees are at it a gain. I hope the experts work out how to help you properly.
So instead of sewing you can always design humungous amounts of patterns for when you can machine sew OR try hand stitching for a while :)

Quilter Going Bananas said...

Oh Micki, so sorry to hear of your setback. Good thing your appt with the DR is on Monday. Surgery is often the last resort but perhaps it'll be worth it in the end. Hope you have lots of good reading on hand as well as quilt books to look at...

Linda ★ Parker's General said...

Oh, no! Micki, I am so sorry to hear this. Aging is never easy. It is rough on all of us. If there is a way to get through this with dignity and grace, I know you will find it. You are much stronger than you think. I will pray for you; for some healing of these aching joints.
★Linda★

Greg said...

Sorry to hear of your setback. I hope you're better soon, your GO! will be there when you do get better.

jane p said...

I know you'll get better. It's the getting there that's tough. Take it easy and spoil yourself.

Rafael's Mum said...

Really sorry to hear you locked your knee again Micki... such bad luck... I will keep you in my thoughts and good luck at the surgeons.

Pat from Florida said...

Ouch! But, oh, do love the whole Pollyanna thing. I've watched it many times. Go Haley Mills!

Anonymous said...

My thoughts and prayer are with you. Stay positive and enjoy the spoiling. Once your better it will definately stop.

Jocelyn said...

Oh dear Micki, I am so sorry to hear this. I hope the MRI will reveal the source of the problem. Take care and keep a good attitude. (yes seeing the picture of Pollyanna reminded me of the movie)

scraphappy said...

I admire your attitude. We can't control a lot of things in life, but we can control our own reaction to those things. Getting upset wouldn't change a thing. Maybe this is the time to take up yo-yos or hexies or sock knitting. I hope the surgeon has good news for you.

Kathy MacKie said...

Not going to mince words-that sucks! Sounds like you are lucky to have a guy like Joe in your life. Also sounds like you need someone to come over and do the quilting for you and I could be that lady only you live soooo far away. Take care and maybe you could do some handquilting!

Jan said...

Oh bless you that sounds so painful .I too tend to TRY to see things Polyanna's way ,and yes it was a very inspiring film ,quite a while ago now though ...love Jan xx

Janet said...

Oh Micki! Here's hoping they can figure out something that works for you without too much anguish. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Irina said...

oh, get well soon! don't worry about the Go! it'll still be there, waiting for the many cool things you'll make

Terrie Sandelin said...

So sorry to hear about your knee! I hope that if you do have surgery, it will all be worth it and you'll up and tangoing in no time. And, yes, I remember that movie! I think there's a lot to be said for having a Pollyanna attitude -- why not look at what life hands us with the most positive attitude? It's not like a negative attitude really makes anything better, and sometimes remembering to keep an eye on the positive does help me feel a lot better. Still -- no sewing?! Okay, so you can sew. Can you use that Go and cut lots and LOTS of fabric?

Auntie sezzzzzz... said...

Oh sigh!!! Dear Micki, sad news. I'm glad you can try to play the 'Glad Game.' It's not easy.

Yes, I do remember the film. I loved the ambiance of the sets and the costumes and all the old-fashioned-ness of it.

Gentle hugs...

Katie :o) said...

Oh! I'm so sorry to hear about your leg! I hope all goes well whatever the outcome and that you will be sewing again soon! Pollyanna... one of my favorite characters! I like to try to find humor in most any situation. A good belly laugh usually helps my outlook on life :o)

Pat said...

Sorry to hear of your setback. I don't recall that I ever saw Pollyanna but I think I need to buy it for some people I know who are always so serious and negative. LOL

Zlaty said...

OH MICKI, So sorry to hear that you locked your knee! I was so optimistic like you that it will get better from all the exercise you do! I haven't seen the movie but i will look for it!

Fingers crossed! Good luck on monday or break a leg like they say in US!

Simone de Klerk said...

I am so very sorry to read this, Micki. You are so brave! Love your Pollyanna attitude. I have never heard of it. Guess it's very American?
Good luck with all the steps you have to take again and I hope you can soon find a smile on Joe's face!

Bunny said...

Oh no poor you I will pray that you are up to yourself in no time. I sensed that there was something you were on my mind since last Thursday and I did not know why. Hugs and I just added my name to the Go giveaway Oh I will cross my fingers and toes LOL. I think I have tried to win at least a dozen times.

Just Ramblin' said...

So sorry about your knee and the pain you are going through. Funny you should mention the Pollyanna" attitude. I love that movie and watch it frequently when I need a little positiveness in my life. Will surely be thinking of you and praying that things will go well for you. Now, maybe you can take some time and read a good book! Nola

Robin (RsIslandCrafts) said...

Sorry your knee isn't co-operating right now. I love the Pollyanna way of thinking. When things seem so bad in my life I like to give myself a couple minutes to have a pity party and then go right into the positive things. The first thing I think about when I have to have a surgery is the getting spoiled part too. At least you can still do a few fun things even if your knee doesn't work properly. I love the Wii games. I also enjoy sitting still and knitting, crocheting, or hand sewing.

Nikki said...

You're so right about trying to focus on the good when something like this happens. It's something I'm trying to learn to do. Equally it is soooo frustrating when your body doesn't cooperate, especially when it impacts on sewing time. Fingers crossed the Doc can sort you out asap.

Liz said...

Keep smiling Micki and good luck with the experts...
Lizzie
xxx

Nedra said...

My prayers continue with you Micki. So sorry to hear about more setbacks with your leg.
Playing the Glad Game is a very healthy way to treat adversity. I loved the movie Pollyanna. We have a copy and watched it a lot as my children were growing up.

Anonymous said...

that positive attitude will get you everywhere! I am glad to hear you've got cancer behind you...still battling the beast myself and I will be darned to let it get the best of me...I wouldn't mind a break though! Hope all goes well with your leg/knee- and you are back to sewing. I love your pictures- one of my favorite afternoon shows is Ballykissangel- that little town sort of looks like the pictures you posted :) fondly, Sandy

Britta said...

Ouch Micki... Hope you feel better soon!

Jen said...

I hope you get better soon! Another bright spot: all the well wishes from Blogland! Great attitude to have, after all, being sad or mad only makes it worse!

deborah said...

Prayers and well wishes! Hope your knee can be 'fixed' soon so you can be pain-free..

KatieQ said...

Your Dresden Plate pillow case is beautiful. I love that pattern, but hate all of the cutting. I'm glad your Go makes it easier for you.

There must be something about the name Joe. My husband is also a Joe and he always seems to come to the rescue, just like your sweet husband. What would we do without them. I hope the doctors can get your knees to start behaving so your out of pain and Joe can start smiling again.

Needled Mom said...

Oh shucks, Micki. I was so hoping that you would continue to improve with time. I can understand why Joe would be so worried with memories like that, but I just know that you will do well and love the fix up they do on you.

When my mom became a paraplegic 15 years ago I rigged up her machine so she could use her chin on the foot pedal. That way she could still sew away and not worry about legs that didn't work anymore.

Julia said...

Oh Micki, so sorry to hear of your setback.
Stay positive and take it easy..
I hope you're better soon, your Colleen will still be there when you able to play with her again..
Rest up. Julia ♥

Mommarock said...

Oh my goodness! I'm so sorry to hear about your leg! OUCH! I hope it is something simple (and not too painful), and that you are back doing what you love quickly. I do so love Pollyanna! That is such a great movie. I wonder, does no sewing mean no Go cutting? Perhaps you could get everything cut for a quilt or two or three with that Go of yours? Well take it easy, and feel better soon.

nutmegg said...

Ohhh Micki so sorry this has happened to you.....but look how many blog friends you have to cheer you on and sent special thoughts to you.....take care dear friend...xoxoxo

Jackie's Stitches said...

I'm so sorry to hear about this! I know Joe is a positive person and that he's simply worried about you. Whatever happens, it's time for you to get well. Hugs to both you and Joe.

Winona said...

Micki, I will be praying for you. Just let Joe take care of you. I know he loves doing it.(grin) Sorry you are having such health issues, but you sure do have a good outlook on it. Pollyanna would be proud of you.

Maria said...

Sorry to hear your knee locked again. Sure hope it is all good news after your MRI.
Yes I often think of Pollyanna too.

Faith Hope and Cherrytea said...

in teaching the chronic illness self mgmnt course, one of the tools in the tool box is our thinking! so you've got that down well with your pollyanna outlook. it's just what the doctors ordered! thinking of you and praying too for the wisdom required to deal with it well..
my girlfriend has just this yr had both replaced & is thrilled to finally be pain free & mobile again. praying so for you too :)

Joanne said...

Sorry to read about your knees misbehaving; love your positive attitude, though.

Lucky Duck Dreams said...

Hey I am a follower! I love your blog!

Lucky Duck Dreams said...

I hope you feel better soon! We will all quilt for you until then.