Sunday, January 31, 2010

My February Star




I wanted to post this today, as I wanted you all to meet Pat and to love her as much as I do. Her work as been so inspiring to me, and we have become friends too. Enjoy her interview, and if you don't know her, please do visit her blog called A Little of This and a Little of Pat. As I don't feel that well, I will let her interview and pics of her work speak for themselves.










Interview for February
Name:__Pat Casadei_________

· A Bit About Me: I am a retired elementary school teacher, who also taught English as a Second Language (ESL) to adults. I have been married for nearly 43 years and have two daughters and three granddaughters. While most of my life was spent in New Jersey, we retired to southern Delaware in the winter of 2004 and love it here. I managed to acquire a part-time job doing medical transcription work when a friend was giving the job up 4 years ago. I had helped her with it when she was busy, so I took it over and it is my source of “extra” money for my hobbies of quilting and scrapbooking!

· What Inspires Me: Sometimes I am inspired by books and patterns and sometimes by things I see around me (like tile designs on floors and walls or a scene in nature). Most often, though, I am inspired by seeing what others have made either on blogs or at get-togethers with other quilters at guilds or our little neighbhorhood group, which I love. I would suspect most quilters are inspired in the same ways that I am.

· What I Love to Do the Most Creatively: My two favorite creative outlets are quilting and scrapbooking, although my scrapbooking has been sorely neglected in the past few years, and I need to get back to that soon!

· My Favorite Fabric and Designer: This is an impossible question for me as I don’t have any one favorite. It depends on the project AND if the quilt is intended for someone else, in which case I take their tastes into consideration. For instance, I am rather “conservative” in my decorating tastes, so I prefer something like the Thimbleberries fabrics for my own quilted items. If I am making something for my grandkids, I’d choose something in bright colors like a Mark Lapinski fabric or Kaffe Fassett or any of the many “BRIGHT” fabrics on the market!

· UFO I Intend to Finish First: Right now, I’m thinking I will finish the signature-block quilt that a group of 12 of us made during 2009. Hopefully, by the time this interview is on your blog, it will be DONE. (Of course, my UFO plans are often derailed, so it may still be a UFO at that time!!!)

· What’s on the Design Wall Now: I am currently working on 12 cottages I am making for a year-long swap in which I’ve been involved. My month to provide cottages is February, so as I write this interview, I am working on finishing them up so I can get them in the mail for the gals to have them in February.

· Who Would I Love to Meet: If we are talking well-known quilters, I think I’d like to meet Eleanor Burns as she seems down-to-earth and fun and I think we’d have many laughs as she tried to teach this quilter some new tricks. I would also like to meet some of the quilt designers whose blogs I visit….Pat Wys, Kim Walus, Gudrun, Kari Carr, Valori Wells, Judy Laquidara, to name a few. I have had the chance to meet Pat Sloan a couple of times and found her very nice and a lot of fun. Barbara Barber is a sweetheart from whom I took a class at a quilt show. And I can’t say enough kind things about Gyleen Fitzgerald, who is not only a great quilt designer but an all-around, genuinely kind person. HOWEVER….if we are talking about well-known people outside the quilt world, I would like to meet someone like Katie Couric, Charlie Gibson, Diane Sawyer, or Tom Brokaw, who are well-known people in the news broadcasting field in the U.S.A. I believe it would be fascinating to hear of the many things they have seen and done during the course of their careers and I’d hope to pry out of them some “secrets” they’ve learned along the way. Walter Cronkite would have been the “ultimate” news person to meet as he saw so many changes in the world during his long career, but he is no longer with us, having passed away during 2009.

· If I Had One Wish: I would wish for the world the same thing I wish for my own family…..peace, health, and “enough” (that is: “enough” financial stability to live happily….not lots of excess that we don’t need, but “enough” to live comfortably and not have worries about everyday expenses). To me, if we all had those things, life would be a lot simpler and the world would be a better place. On a more frivolous note, I wish I’d win a big lottery prize so I could use some of it to charter an airplane and rent out an entire resort hotel so I could host a retreat for many of the nice bloggers I’d love to meet, including YOU, of course, Micki! (Of course, since I rarely play the lottery, the odds of this wish coming true are pretty slim, I am sad to say.)

· Plans for the Future: I would hope to improve my own physical health and get in better shape……to do some traveling to places in the U.S. I’ve not seen…maybe make a return-trip to Ireland (which I visited and loved in 1994)…..see my grandkids grow up and have happy lives and maybe get to see great-grandkids! Sprinkled amidst all that would be my plan to improve as a quilter and not to accumulate so many UFO’s….and to do that, I really need to learn to do free-motion quilting a lot better than I do it now!!!

Thanks Pat for a wonderful interview!

19 comments:

Jocelyn said...

Micki, you could not have chosen a sweeter guest this month. Pat is such a warm caring gal, who always makes the sweetest comments on my blog. It has been such a pleasure to know Pat, and now to know her a little better via your featuring her as your guest. Thanks so much!

Maggey and Jim said...

What a wonderful interview.. Would love to meet bloggers from all over too. You are very accomplished and I love your quilts. Thanks Micki, for a wonderful star.
Hugs and well wishes,
Maggey

SewCalGal said...

Micki, Delightful post. Thank you for introducing me to Pat. She sounds like a wonderful woman, who is very talented and warm hearted (like you).

SewCalGal
www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

This was such a wonderful post Micki! I enjoyed getting to know Pat even better!

Needled Mom said...

Great interview with Pat. I have enjoyed her blog for sometime and she does deserve the star award.

Barb said...

Just love Pat, she is an amazing person and has become a wonderful friend of mine. Thanks for this interview even when you are not well...

Unknown said...

I love reading your stars post and especially this one. I love Pat, she's a great person and so thoughtful of others.

Gene Black said...

Ah, my dear friend Pat is indeed a STAR. I can't remember if we "met" by me finding her blog OR her finding mine. It doesn't matter.

Pat has always been encouraging, sharing and (as several others said) sweet.

I am glad to know Pat. And I am glad more people will get the opportunity thanks to your STAR post.

Micki - Hope you feel lots better soon.

Simone de Klerk said...

Thank you for sharing, Micki!

LyndaG said...

Micki, you certainly chose a great individual for this month's interview. Your introduction on Pat's blog is a wonderful story of the power of love. Hope you are feeling better - when my mother was in Ireland a few years ago, she swore by a glass of Guinness every day - said it just made her day better.

JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

Wonderful interview - wonderful Pat. Not to explore your blog a bit more.

LINDA BYLSMA said...

I, too, know and love Pat. This is a great interview. I'm so sorry you are having such a rough time with those dreaded shingles. My mother had them and was sooooooooo sick. Please take care and come back soon. I need more pictures of the beach!!

Winona said...

A great interview. Thanks. Winona

Kaye said...

Micki, Your shingles, I know they are dreadful. My Mother in law had them and Doctor prescribed Sylverdyne cream. It seemed to give her some relief. It is a prescription med but also the best on the market for burns. My hubby was a career firefighter and many, many of his buddies kept it on hand. Good choice for your "STAR" Besides all the good things already said about her Pat is my neighbor and Good Friend. She is our Quilt teacher for our neighborhood Lakeside Ladies. We go on retreats for quilting and she is an all around awesome Buddie

Sandi Linn Andersen said...

What a lovely post. Pat is definitely a "STAR"!!! Isn't it great how many blogging friends we have all made that have enriched our lives? Makes every day fun just to go to the computer and see what we are all doing in our own little corner of the world! I'm sorry to hear that you are a little "under the weather". Get lots of rest and really take care of yourself and...let yourself be taken care of. I know that's awful grammar but you know what I mean. :-)

Zlaty said...

You made a great choice for February Micki! Pat is very inspiring blogger and quilter.

I hope you feel a little better and all the emails and comments make you smile!

Julia said...

A great interview Micki..
Pat is gorgeous and a dear blogging friend..she warm ,fun and talented..like yourself..
Hugs Julia ♥

Unknown said...

Pat is wonderful and a wonderful quilter!!!

Tangos Treasures said...

Nice to meet you!!
Fabulous choice for your February Star!!