each. Our cottage is near Killahoey Beach, and the views are stunning.




You can see some of the incredible beaches we have and the hills surrounding our village. You can see our village here to the left with Muckish Mountain in the distance. There is an incredible peace and beauty here.

Our village is very small, but we are very lucky to have found our home here. Now, I will give you a bit of a peak at our village close up. Joe too
k a pic of our larger Hotel which is called Arnolds Hotel, but we also have a smaller hotel across the street from it. There is also a pic of our craft shop called McAulliffes, one of our pubs, but we have other businesses on our main street like two Chinese Restaurants, two coffee shops, a vintage clothing store, a large supermarket, post office, bank, pubs, an art gallery, etc.


We have four quilt shops in the area, and near our town is a national park with a castle called Glenveigh National Park and also Ard Forest is nearby. This is horse country, and we have stables behind the hotel, and lots of people hire horses to ride on the beach. Oh, there is also a golf course near Killahoey Beach. We have a Workshop right outside our village that houses another craft shop, coffee shop and a Famine Exhibit, and besides our wee art gallery on our main street , we have a larger gallery right outside our village, where local artists display their work. Of course there are countless fields of sheep, horses, and cows, two lakes in our area. My favorite one is New Lake, where we often go. There are sand dunes by the lake which you can climb to get to Tramore Beach. It is a long hike, but it is spectacular.There is lots to see and do, so if you ever come to Ireland, make sure to visit our area. A good time to visit is in 2012, as we are having a huge International Quilt Festival in Ireland. I will give you details about it when it is closer to the time.
Well, Bridgette, here is the tour that I promised. Hope everyone enjoyed a glimpse of Dunfanaghy and our area. Enjoy your weekend!
61 comments:
Your village is everything a village should be . I live in a village , all we have is 3 shops spread around , a tiny chemist where you have to order your prescription 24 hrs ,. in advance and a fish and chip shop that has soggy batter on the fish--cottonreel
Wow, it's really pretty around you Micki! Thank you for sharing the beautiful pictures!
Thanks for sharing your part of the world with your readers. It's very interesting.
You may live in a small village but it seems like you have everything you need! It's truly very beautiful there.
Just beautiful Micki, thanks so much for sharing. It does bring a sense of peace and well being, you are one lucky lady to be living there.
Thank you for the tour. Your cottage is in a very scenic area and the town looks bustling (and colorful, like all Irish towns.)
Lovely!
Last time I was in Donegal was 3 years ago and we actually drove by your village when doing a tour. We were staying in Carrigart.
Isn't Ireland a beautiful country??? I'm happy to live here too!!
Oh, thanks for the tour! What a lovely place you live. And four quilt shops near by? Sounds like heaven.
Oh my...how beautiful! I have always wanted to visit Ireland. This is just stoking the fire! Thank you for showing us this amazing scenery.
Grazie per averci mostrato le fotto di un paesaggio così bello!
Sei veramente fortunata.
Un saluto dall'Italia
Ciao Domenica
It looks like a lovely little village and a beautiful area in Ireland. I showed Jim the pictures so I could plant a seed in his mind for a 2012 quilt show trip!! Jim is wanting to know if there are good pubs in the area -- I said "It's Ireland!" Thanks for the tour!
Your photos are great. I went to Ireland when I was 18 (about 40 years ago) and the photos of the villages especially took me back. The ocean views are lovely also.
AHHHHHHHHH!!!! I LOVE IT! GOOD GRAVY it is beautiful there! My eldest LOVES Ireland and she's drooling over the pics w/me lol! Can't thank you enough for sharing your piece of Heaven with us. Can't wait to get there ... 2012 HERE I COME!
Wonderful Micki, I love that there are so many quilt shops!!!! What gorgeous scenery and such a cosy little village, looks perfect to me!!!
You have made me want to visit for sure!!!
Hugs,
Margaret B
Loved your pictures made me home sick way over here in San Francisco.
So have you been following the baseball? Go Giants??
Leona
What a thrill, Micki! It was such fun to go on your walk with you and enjoy all of the sights. It really is a beautiful place and I am so glad that you guys ended up there.
Oh it is absolutely beautiful! I can see why one would love living there! I"ve always loved the ocean, I think that is because I live in the land locked midwest! I was surprised you had 4 quilt shops nearby! I wasn't sure how popular quilting was there. The views are absolutely stunning! Thank you so much for taking the time to take the pictures and share with us!
Thanks Micki Always love to see some new scenery. :-)xxx
Micki, I can not thank you enough for sharing your part of Ireland with us. I have lots of Irish blood flowing through my veins. I would love to visit Ireland some day. My grandpa was an Irishman. He had gorgeous blue eyes and jet black hair. (Of course I only know about the hair from grandma. His hair was gray all my life.(grin) Your area is so green. Winter is fast moving in here. Most everything is brown now. Thanks again, Micki. Sure made me drool. LOL
Forgot to mention your sylvia's bridal sampler is amazing!
Simply beautiful! I would love to live in such a place, until.. someday, I'll stay put and enjoy my little piece of the globe.
Hi Micki: The area around your village is incredibly beautiful. I, too, am located near the sea but it is on the Bay of Fundy which is almost landlocked where I am located at the entrance to Minas Basin. But I love the peace and tranquility living in isolation brings with it. Thanks for the glimpse of your surroundings. Don't miss visiting my sister sire - http://www.funkybabymine.blogspot.com and entering my giveaway running until the end of November.
Thank you for your great tour! What a beautiful part of the world you live in! I can hardly believe you have 4 quilt shops in the area.
Can't wait to hear more about the International Quilt Show!!!
What a lovely place to live!
L-O-V-E the pics, Micki! I want to see more!
Now which one is your cottage?
Seeing the photos brings back many fond memories of our time in Europe...it is beautiful!!
Lovely place to live!!! I think you're lucky. A village like yours has ever been my dream. The pictures are wonderful the sky is exactly the color and the way I love it. Take care and enjoy your week, Clara.
HELLO- My family is in Sligo
My grandmothers house is still
standing an no roof. I want to get to know you I have so many things to ask.
That mountan looks like Benbulbin
and my cousins house is right there a little out of Sligo Town. I have been to Donagal and Kellybegs,
yvonne
Thank you for the photos, Micki! I love the beach scenes.
Your photos brought back happy memories of our 3-week trip to Ireland in 1994. I loved the coastal villages. (Your hotel reminds me of one where we stayed in Lahinch.) Thanks for posting the photos! As someone else mentioned...I'd love to see your cottage, too.
Breathtaking views. Coffee table book material IMHO :)
Thanks for the tour - I absolutely love Ireland, although our one visit there was limited to the southern part, from Galway across to Dublin and south of there. Next time (maybe 2012?) we'll hit the northern part! Where will the quilt festival be held?
Ahhh.. what beautiful sights to see. What a delightful village.
What an excellent idea for a vacation!!!!
Ahhhhhhhh...a lovely tour of a beautiful place!
Ifeel like I've almost been there. Thanks for sharing your part of the world.
Lovely pictures of your area Micki. I really like the red building. I hope to see it in person sone day - Hugs Nat
Beautiful! Thank you for sharing!
It sounds idyllic.
What a delightful place to live. I think I could live there too but it gets a bit cold eh!! I am spoilt living here. LOL
Thank you for sharing your pics.
Wow! You have everything anyone could ask for in a beautiful place to live. Thanks for sharing and inviting us into your "home" so to speak. Loved the tour. Nola
Love, love, LOVE the pictures! Thank you so much for the lovely tour- these pictures are going to be my desktop backgrounds for the next few weeks/months, if that's ok! :)
I would love to visit Ireland. Hubby and I dream of one of those drive yourself tours. And 2012 sound like a great time to come!!
Thank you for sharing your world with us, Micki. It looks so lovely. Great weather you had for those photos. I love the beach, even in winter. I particularly like taking weather photos over the sea.
Keep them coming! xxx
Thanks for the 'tour' Micki! YOu do indeed live in a beautiful area.
Loved the tour Micki
Thanks for sharing your home with us.
I think it's time I came back to Ireland1!
What a fantastic place to live in! I'd really love to see it in person so who knows!! Thank you for the beautiful tour.
Just beautiful...thank you for sharing. A trip to Ireland is on my bucket list. I do hope I get to see it in person someday!
Wow! What a beautiful place to live.
And - I want to be entered in your GO giveaway.
Julie
juliespcs@hotmail.com
My Grandfather would tell me when I was alittle girl that his Grandfather told him that Ireland was alittle piece of Heaven on Earth. By your pictures I can believe that.
Willow
Your village looks and sounds lovely! The beach photos are beautiful! I've not been over to Ireland but it's definitely high on the list of places to go.
Micki, you live in a lovely village, so beautiful and green, thanks for showing us around!
What a spectacular place to photograph! Just lovely! ♥con
Loved seeing the photos of your village and countryside. Thanks for sharing!
Thank you for sharing your piece of paradise, it is so beautiful.
Thanks for sharing! Your town looks like many Irish towns I visited on a 21-day bike trip I took across Ireland several years back. So quaint and beautiful. But not all have the beautiful sea and beaches you have! It's beautiful!
Ohhh, loved the tour. Ireland is such a beautiful place and it looks like you have a slice of heaven where you are, lucky you. I remeber visiting Connemara and the cleanliness of it. All the hillsides and mountains were reflected perfectly in the lakes and peaceful waters. Sheep grazing and even having the right of ways on the roads and the ditches. Perfect! Thanks for the photos and the tour. Jane
Your village looks lovely
Thanks for sharing
Hugs Janice
Thanks for the trip. Your area is magnificent and looks like a decent place to spend your retired life. I was quite amazed, though, when you first posted the Ireland quilt show, 2012! At least 1 year later. Must be a big event!
Careful, you're going to get visitors from all over the world!
Thanks for the tour, Micki. You make this confirmed home-body want to go travelling!
Post a Comment