I am trying to create an Asian theme in our bedroom. The geisha quilt is hanging on the wall, I have a Japanese style duvet and pillows on our bed, and the curtains also have a very Asian look to them. I have had two pillows that I haven't used, as the covers are so worn, so I am making new pillows for the bed. I made the first one today, and finished the front of the pillow. It is all machine applique, and I used my favorite fusible Heat N'Bond light. The fabric around the pillow matches one of the borders of the geisha quilt and the colours coordinate with our curtains. I found Asian patterns in a Patchwork and Quilting Magazine (Uk version), and when I am done this one, I will use one of the other two Asian patterns to make the second pillow.
We have taken a walk today in hills by the Famine Graveyard. It is a haunting place where victims of the Famine lie in unmarked graves. I have included a few of the pics for you to see. It is so interesting. Here is the sign that marks the entrance to the Famine Graveyard:
The graveyard is up in the hill and you can see our community below by the sea:
Right by the graveyard, there are wonderful views of the fields and the hills:
Giveaway News: Dzintra is having a wonderful gifeaway...go to http://dzintrastitcheries.blogspot.com/2009/05/its-my-turn-for-giveaway.html and check it out and enter...you never know...you might win!
13 comments:
Lovely pillow, you will have a beautiful bedroom. Thanks for sharing the pictures.hugs, Marie
Hi Micki,
What a beautiful area you live in - and soooooo green! Love your pillows.
Ros
That was a very sad time for the Irish people and very sad that they reside in unmarked graves but also nice that the country has at least marked the graveyard it self.
Love your bedroom decor idea.
Although I seldom make Asian designs, I am very drawn to them.
Micki, I like the idea of your bedroom theme, Asian with the geisha quilt and now pillow. You gave me an idea for our bedroom, umms. I like your walk to Famine Graveyard as well. Very moving!
Beautiful, Micki!!! Your bedroom sounds like an Asian paradise!
Thank you for showing us a little bit of Ireland. I would love to see your area some day. So green!
You won't want to leave your lovely bedroom before long! Kath x
I was never very drawn to Asian fabrics until I used them in a small project (coasters) and now I love them! They really give something special to quilts and quilty items.
Wow what a place to visit! Do you get any eerie feelings around it?
Hi Micki...the Famine Graveyard does indeed sound like a haunting place...much like Port Arthur in Tasmania...
Thank you for spreading the word...Good Luck♥x
Pretty pillow Micki! I am sure your bedroom will be a restful and tranquil place with the Asian theme. Sounds like your knee is better than...good! What beautiful country side you are in. Such a sad sad chapter for Ireland.
The countryside of Ireland is so beautiful. You are so fortunate to live near such beauty.
Pillow is very pretty and I can almost feel the atmosphere in those pictures!
Post a Comment