Wednesday, May 27, 2009

One Pillow Down, One To Go, and Great Quilt Books




I finished one oriental pillow for our bedroom, so now I have to finish the second one. I also worked on another miniature landscape quilt for my Miniature Landscape course. I am doing a landscape that includes New Lake, the hills, and a galloping horse. I have all the pieces fused to the background, but no stitching done so far, so I still have to free motion quilt the landscape. I was really busy with working on that, while I watched another John Wayne movie. I will wait till the teacher Susan Brittingham instructs us on how she wants us to do the free motion stitching.
Joe and I are off for a twilight walk. It is a very cool, cloudy day, but the early night walks are the prettiest.
Well as to the great quilt books that I will write about today. Here are two that I will definitely do in the future.
When we came back from our walk, I read an email from one of my blogger friends, named Karen.
Karen whose blog is at http://karen-logcabinquilter.blogspot.com/ recommended a great applique book called The Circuit Rider's Quilt Book, which you can find at the Pickledish Site which sells the Kansas City Star patterns. The site is at http://pickledish.kcstar.com/?q=node/558. As I already have many of the Kansas City Star patterns on cd and love to do applique, I know that I will love to make this 19th century quilt. Anyone who loves applique, this looks like a winner. Also on my to do list, I would love sew The Amish Circle Quilt, and the book can be purchased at http://www.softexpressions.com/software/books/4F0098.php. It is a wonderful sampler quilt, and the stories in the book are wonderful too. As I lived near the PA Dutch Country many years ago, it would also be a wonderful memory quilt representing my life in PA. At the site it says about this book:

Step into the everyday life, families and communities of the Amish. Experience their world through the circle letter, as Rosemary Youngs guides you on the journey of 11 women who manage to maintain their friendships and record their lives. After over 15 years of keeping in touch, these women now have added a quilt block to each letter. This book includes 121 actual-size quilt block patterns reflecting the experiences in their lives. Enjoy their stories as you piece and appliqué the blocks to create projects including a large quilt, baby quilt, wall hanging, table runner and appliquéd aprons and bags.

9 comments:

Cattinka said...

Your pillow is beautiful and I can´t believe how many projects you manage to do in just one week. You are so busy.
Hope you enjoyed your walk with Edward (:-D "twilight").... of course I´m talking about Joe!
KATRIN W.

Unknown said...

Your pillows are great. I love your work

Anonymous said...

Love the pillow.. is the other one going to be an exact copy?

Cindy F. said...

Beautiful stitching and finishing!!

Nat Palaskas said...

First the pillow looks great and thanks for quilt books recommendation. I like the sound of Amish circle quilt. I have been to Lancaster, PA and stayed for over a week. We visited many interesting venues and saw how the Amish lived. I like the sound and the story of the 11 Amish ladies

Auntie sezzzzzz... said...

You've done more beautiful work!!!

I'm sure you are aware of how lucky the Irish are... To be able to take evening walks, without being "eaten alive" by mosquitoes! Because I'll bet you know mosquitoes, coming from PA.

I know this because I used to blog with a young man in Dublin. He and his wife would take lovely evening walks. And I asked him; "No bugs?" Nope! Lucky! :-)

I love evening, but all flying things love me. So... I have to close myself inside, in the evening. -Poooh-

Aunt Amelia

Queen Of The Armchair aka Dzintra Stitcheries said...

I bet the second pillow will be done by the time we come back...Good Job Micki!!! I enjoy reading about the Amish!!!

Linda ★ Parker's General said...

Love the pillow and the idea of moonilight walks by the shore. I believe I will live vicariously through you.
And I do so dearly love the Amish quilts--and pies and jellies and plants and wood furniture. There are quite a few Amish in our neck of the woods. They are wonderfully friendly people with great beliefs and ethics. Now, them I actually envy for their strength and honesty. I think I still prefer to have their work-their quilts-to any that I could ever make. They are so beautiful.

Anonymous said...

Love your pillow. I think they are a fun change up from full sized quilts.