I decided to finish Block #1 today for my crocheted throw. I love the redcurrant color and the Debbie Bliss yarn is just luscious to work with.Block #2 should be arriving in a day or two, so I can't wait to see it. I learned from my mom how to crochet, and I just fell in love with it. As I am dyslexic, knitting is much harder for me for that reason.
Now to paper piecing....Some people have written me and said that they would love to learn paper piecing. My best suggestion to you is to learn from Carol Doak and to get the Starter Kit from her that contains everything that you need to paper piece, including the
dvd called Carol Doak Teaches You to Paper Piece , and it is on sale now. She teaches you from her lovely home, and you feel as if you are a guest in her house. I learned from her years ago, and I have most of her books. Then I moved up to patterns by Deb Karasik and you can see
The Quilt Mavens site here....much more complicated patterns.
This is a quilt that I made from a pattern by Deb Karasik. I have posted it before. You get a feeling of depth and movement with Deb's patterns.
Don't be scared to try it...Once you get it, you will never want to stop, just like potato chips.
Don't be scared to try it...Once you get it, you will never want to stop, just like potato chips.
As to the weather, it is quite cold. Joe and I tried to take our long walk through the hills this morning, but we only made it up to our sidewalk near our cottage.There was literally a sheet of ice on the sidewalks and streets...No way were we going to attempt that hike. We will wait till the sun melts it a bit, and take our walk in the afternoon. God knows we didn't want to slip.
We have been experiencing minus ten degrees in the overnight hours...Gee, maybe that is why we have ice.LOL
We have been experiencing minus ten degrees in the overnight hours...Gee, maybe that is why we have ice.LOLHave a nice day and keep warm, and to my Aussie friends and to anyone who has warm weather, enjoy the barefoot walks on the beach and the swims you will be having...lucky!!!!
24 comments:
That red is a luscious color. I have always enjoyed knitting more than crochet, although both are very relaxing.
I, too, love to paper piece. The perfect results are stunning as in the quilt you are showing. Gorgeous!
We are one of those enjoying warm weather - in the 70-80* range forecast throughout the week ahead. My neice heads back to school in Ireland this weekend and is not looking forward to leaving this weather.
I love paper piecing - but not every quilt I make. Only 11 degrees below zero F this AM. A great improvement over the past few days. Stay warm.
Congratulations on finishing crocheting block 1. Can you please tell me the source as I'm interested in doing a project like that. I'm located in the US and wonder if it is available here. Thanks in advance and I hope you were able to get your walk in today. It's sunny and cool here in Texas.
Oh Micki...
Sweetie that red color is just beautiful. I love it. Thank you for sharing. Boy are you fast. It didn't take you long. I just want to learn to knit. That is my goal this year, and I am going to learn too.
Arizona (Phoenix) has been having some really nice weather. Not really hot yet, just right, in the 70's weather. We have to enjoy it, it will be gone really quick. I wish I could bottle some up and send it to you.
Stay inside, no falls, and enjoy crocheting and movies, until it warms up a little.
Country hugs sweetie...Sherry
I'm to scared to quilt, and I have so little time to stitch, that I can hardly spend time on another hobby. I'm thrilled to see your results on the paper piece.
Well done finishing the block so quickly. Love your cartoon picture.LOL Good idea not to go walking on ice.
Micki ~ If you'd like, you can post a link to my paper piecing tutorial featured on my blog. I've gotten rave reviews from those who have used it to learn how to paper piece. I also have it in a pdf that I share with anyone who requests it. Scroll down to Labels / paper piecing tutorial. (The link is too long for me to post.)
Love the New York Beauty wallhanging and love the crocheted square. Years ago I made an afghan with all different stitches in each block too. It's still one of my favorites. Wish I had four hands so I could quilt and crochet at the same time!
Wow, I was just thinking yesterday that I would like to crochet a shawl for myself and here you are doing one yourself.
It has been over 25 years since I have crochet. At that time I was doing alot and guess I just got tired of it.
I think I will put it on my to do list for this year. I really need to finish some of the other projects I started over the years and never finished.
Can't wait to see yours finished.
Willow
Oh my gosh.. It sounds like you are experiencing the SAME weather as we are HERE!... LOVE that current red color!.. As for paper piecing, I have never tried it. It does sound like fun though!.. Have a great day, and keep warm! ~tina
LOVE that block and I'm glad you decided not to risk falling on the icy walkways!
That redcurrant color is just yummy. The end results of paper piecing are so perfect, it is almost worth all the pain.
From this New Zealand Kiwi.. I will enjoy the beach, thanks!
Poor you.. ice... brrrrrrr.
Hey Micki,
I thought we were having cold but sounds like you have been getting too much.. I don't like the ice either..Will not even temp to drive on it..Your block is lovely and the color so rich.. I am not big on paper piecing but have tried it. Maybe just not the right teacher.. Well, stay warm and cozy.
Hugs,
Maggey
DS & DIL are in Glasgow at the moment and aren't liking the cold at all, they even stayed inside yesterday to nurse their snuffles cos they said the wind even hurt their cheeks to walk outside. True blue Aussies my kids ;o).
I used to have a Carol Doak dvd ... can't find it for the life of me. Better hunt again. Your paper pieced quilt is spectacular Micki!!! And I love your crocheted square too :o).
Hugs,
Joy :o)
Hi Micki!
A very Happy New Year to you. I've really enjoyed getting to know you this year and seeing all your beautiful work. Cheers to 2010.
Catherine
Micki, it is cold here in Alabama too. Currently it is 25 Farenheit. Brrrr.. Alabama is NOT supposed to get that cold.
Your quilt is wonderful, are the curves paper pieced also?
I've loved crochet since I was a child, too. My grandmother taught me at 8, and all of my granddaughters learned at 5. My knitting is so slow, I feel like I'm not getting anywhere.
Paper piecing is another craft that is on my list of "one day" projects. I absolutely love the look, but I cannot imagine my points ending up as nice as yours!
we are hip-deep in snow, living in the "Winter Wonderland State" of Michigan.
Your quilt is just beautiful! Soo pretty. Our weather has been 10 degrees on the weekend and after hearing about yours I'm not going to complain any more. That's cold! Forget the walks and stay warm ♥
Your block and your paper pieced quilt are both adorable! I'm glad you're enjoying the yarn. A good yarn can make all the difference in the world!
Hi Micki! I got one of Carol Doak's books for Christmas from my hubby for Christmas and some foundation paper too! Excited to learn this way of paper piecing...I start a call tomorrow called Brown Bag Lunch Group and we'll be learning paper piecing doing stars. Am very excited!! I also love your crocheting, and that nummy red color...I'm a crochet-er from way back and work on little stuff lately like pot holders. Enjoy and Happy New Year to my Irish Friend (if I haven't already wish you that)!!!
Hi Micki...brrr, that sounds cold...Here in the Land Down Under I had a beach walk today with our friends...we are having a lovely warm Summer...take care and don't go out on that ice...Dzintra♥x
This is the perfect time for you (no me in Brazil) to crochet a pretty through. Show us the second block as soon as you get it done, pls!
I still have scars on my elbows from falling on ice when I first experienced a white winter time. Falling isn't a problem when one is 19, I guess.
Hi Micki, thanks for joining my blog , I look forward to keeping in touch .
I congratulated Barb on being your January star, a very good choice---------cottonreel
Post a Comment