Saturday, January 23, 2010

Dolly the Sheep Potholder


Today, I had a blast making Dolly the Sheep Potholder. I hope that you can see that Dolly is three dimensional and puffy. I stuffed her and then did hand embroidery using the Bullion Stitch to create the fleece of the wool. It really looks like sheep's wool ...how cool! Then, I embroidered her eyes, nose, mouth and feet. and then sewed Dolly onto a block using a tiny slip stitches . I used green and red borders to complete the potholder front, put batting and a bright red back, and quilted in the ditch. Finally, I put the binding on and embellished it with buttons. It is now hanging in our kitchen , and Dolly looks so cute!

I am relaxing now and watching tv. I was quite pleased with the whole process. Hope your Saturday has been a good one. Here it was cold, but we still took our long walk, and we had lovely coffee and muffins in one of our local coffee shops on the main street.

Enjoy the rest of your weekends! Don't forget that I will be having a giveaway in honor of One World, One Heart on Monday.

34 comments:

The Other Barb said...

such a cute pot holder!

Anonymous said...

This "wooly looking" stitch is really neat. Very cute potholder!

Beansieleigh said...

Oh Micki! I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it! "Ewe" are so talented, and this potholder is the cutest! Hope you're enjoying your weekend! ((hugs)) ~tina

Colleen said...

Very cute Micki.

Soggibottom said...

Thanks yes, had a usual Saturday..
Your pot holder has given me an idea.
Not as a pot holder though. I don't cook and have to clear up after THE COOK....
love your sheep....x x x

scraphappy said...

What an adorable potholder, I hope it won't be used on any pots!

Patty said...

Cute Dolly looks quite content in her little green and red world.

Kiwifruit-Shiree said...

it is very warm and sunny here, I am just catching up on a bit of machine stitching,and then Rowing Man and I will head for a walk ending at one of the local coffee shops - might be wine bar but Rowing Man on call this weekend so not a good idea! I lurve the pot holder - sooo very very cute!

Art by Rhoda Forbes said...

Dolly is just wonderful! We have had a lot of snow here...that's ok I love it.

Gene Black said...

Dolly is a delightful darling in your Donegal kitchen.

I love the embroidery you did on it. I don't know how to do a bullion stitch but I will be looking it up in just a minute.

Julia said...

It's so cute Micki..I'd keep it just for show..
Julia ♥

Barb said...

Love your little sheep....

YOu make life sound so wonderful over there in your world.....I must come for a visit sometime....

webbsway said...

O Micki!
O,I totally ADORE Dolly! LOVE - Love - Love! I do have 8 sheep that I dearly love because I love to work with their fleece. I always love the natural color of the fleece . At one time I was actually working on a Logcabin design for a rug using the fleece. Plus, one time I crocheted a sheep potholder too.
You are so talented and so Inspirational all at the same time! Thank you so much for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Awww - sweet! You did a great job.

Nancy M. said...

Dolly is so cute!

Lurline said...

Yes, another cutie!
Hugs - Lurline♥

Chris H said...

That is way too cute to use even! It might get dirty, heaven forbid!

Holly Days Closet said...

I love the pot holder it's so cute
Holly

Needled Mom said...

Dolly is so cute. I think I would just display it and not really use it and get it dirty after all that work!!!!

Anita said...

Hi Micki, Aww I love Dolly the sheep. That bullion stitch is amazing isn't it, I've seen lots of great projects made using that stitching and it looks fantastic. Kind regards, Anita.

Country Wings in Phoenix said...

Oh Micki Sweetie...
Dolly is just precious. I love her. How very cute and fluffy she is. You did a beautiful job. What a talented lady you are my goodness gracious.

I hope you have had a beautiful weekend. I so enjoyed mine. Crafting a little, cleaning a little. No rushing, just taking my time.

Have a beautiful Sunday sweetie. Thanks again for sharing. Country hugs and much love, Sherry

Sue said...

Dolly's adorable! Do you remember the post I did about the sheep and the goat at my shop door one morning? They didn't leave for about a week so I ended up naming them- and I named the sheep Dolly. (I named the goat, Billy"). Glad you had a fun day.

The French Bear said...

Dolly is adorable! I love sheep, and quilting, so I really love the potholder!!!
Hugs,
Margaret B

a good yarn said...

Too clever Micki! Dolly is adorable. Ann :-)

Pat from Florida said...

What a great stitch to use for the sheep. Way cute!

Kath said...

How cute is that! You collect pot holders don't you?

Mystica said...

It looks far too nice for a potholder. will you actually use it

Kaaren said...

How cute is that!!! Too cool, Micki.

Laurie said...

Well, how fun is that? I can't believe you started and finished it in one day! Enjoy your award, and congrats on finishing your house quilt, too!

Anonymous said...

What a sweet pot holder! I love it. I agree you are very talented indeed. It's a little cold and rainy here in Michigan this weekend. I hope you are enjoying yours.

pajudie said...

What a cute pot holder - where did you get the pattern?
Judie

Unknown said...

she is adorable.....i love that she is all puffy.....

Anonymous said...

Now that is what I call really great, well done you. It must be the Irish air!

Millie said...

Micki, what a cute potholder. Are you going to use it as a decoration or will it be the real thing?