Thursday, January 28, 2010

Fabric and Magazine Arrive and Organizing Family Photos


The Fat Quarter Shop sent me the January fat quarter packet in the mail, and it is called Autumn Sun, and there are 12 fat quarters in the pack. It is the first packet to be sent to me for the Batik Club that I joined. Isn't it just gorgeous? They also sent me The Quiltmaker 100 Blocks Magazine, which is so cool. If you haven't gotten it, you should.
I also got hand dyed fabrics in the mail for a Celtic Wallhanging that I will be making, and that one will be a surprise. It is so neat! The funny thing is that they arrived on the same day, even though the hand dyed fabrics came from County Kerry, Ireland. That is why I always order from Kimberly at The Fat Quarter Shop in the States, as she is so efficient and organized. I just love her!
I also finally decided that I am organizing a box of family photos that I have...hundreds of them...They are of my parents and my entire life with them in Philly. When I married Joe and moved to Ireland 14 years ago, I couldn't ship all the albums, so I took the photos out of the albums and put them in a large box. There they have stayed for many years. I decided that I will put them all in scrapbook albums, as I do love scrapping. Joe is getting me the Cricut, which is going to really help me organize the photos, as it cuts all the shapes and letters that you could ever want. I will either get the Cricut Create or the Cricut Expression, depending on which bundle gives me the best deal and the best features. Here is the Cricut Expression at the UK site I will probably purchase it from. There is a You Tube video that Joann's Store put together that will give you an idea what it does. I will also be making cards with it and tons of home decor items. Well, if it is the last thing that I do, I will get the photos into pretty scrapbook albums. I will also be journalling whatever I can remember.I will put pics of some of the scrapbook pages on my blog. I made scrapbooks of our wedding, our honeymoon in Greece, and others...It was fun so I should enjoy the whole process!
Today, I have been sick with swollen glands, chills, etc. I am heading to bed to read ...I feel like pampering myself.
Enjoy your evening!

31 comments:

Kiwifruit-Shiree said...

oh Micki, that is nit s fun that you are not feeling 100%, hope you perk up soon. I would love to see some of your scrapbooking work, so yes please do show. Thanks for the video link to Barbara Doakes - really enjoyed it ta!

Nat Palaskas said...

You will have fun with them Micki. I like the look of Quiltmaker 100 blocks magazine. Some of our blogger friends are in it too - Enjoy. Hugs from Nat

Jackie's Stitches said...

I hope you're feeling better!

The batiks are gorgeous. I have the magazine too but haven't had time to make anything from it.

One day I'd like to do a lot of scrapbooking and card making. It's on my "one day" list.

Laurie said...

Micki, I'm working on a lifetime of photos, too. So we can do this together. I wish I had a Cricut, though! I'm so sorry you're not feeling well. Get better!

Maggey and Jim said...

Hello Micki,
Sorry you are not feeling well, hope it passes soon. I know what you mean about photos.. I have lots too and really need to do something, even put them on a disk..just in case?
Later,
Maggey

Barb said...

Oh wow...so sorry you are ill, hope you get better soon....

those fabrics are wonderful...

Nedra said...

Enjoy all the scrapbooking. I used to Chronical all of my children and do a family album. I think I have put together over 60 albums. But now I quilt, and the photos stay in digital form.
I hope you are feeling better soon!

Zlaty said...

Lovely fabrics! You are a lucky girl Micki! I think you can even cut fabric with the Cricut as i saw on the commercial.

Keep us updated and happy crafting!

Pat said...

I hope you feel better soon. I am SO far behind on scrapbooking and really need to get back to it SOON.

Greg said...

Sorry you're feeling ill. Curl up with all that nice fabric and flip through that magazine, you'll feel better quick!!! Can't wait to see what you do with those batiks!!

webbsway said...

So sorry that you are feeling under the weather - hope it passes. Your treasures are so nice ! You will never have time to "be bored"! LOL I told a friend the other day that I HATE to leave home because that is where I play at. ~smile~This is more fun than being a child because I get to tell "ME" what to do. lol

Sue said...

I'm sorry you're feeling poorly. You just pamper yourself and get lots of rest. Feel better soon!

Maria said...

Sorry to hear you are not wel. Just curl up with your magazine and see what you can make with your new FQ's.

Simone de Klerk said...

the magazine is great! I have one and took the blocks for the charity quilts out of it.
It is snowing again. Need more sun ...

Anita said...

Hi Micki, I love all the fat quarters lucky girl. You'll be having a heap of fun. The collection of photo's will look nice when you get them all together. Hope you feel better soon. Kind regards, Anita.

Marie said...

Feel better soon and enjoy all that beautiful fabric. Love to scrapbook too. Hugs, Marie

Unknown said...

I have never scrapbooked. I guess I just never got into it. Plus my MIL does it for me. We send her pictures and she, about 6 months later, sends a book. Awesome...I hope you feel better soon. Pamper yourself, you deserve it.

Gene Black said...

Get to feeling better. I am checking on that magazine

Anonymous said...

The fabrics look lovely. Can't wait to see the celtic project.

Take care of yourself.It is the season for colds. Get plenty of rest and drink lots of fluids.

Willow

Colleen said...

Feel Better Micki. Colleen

Auntie sezzzzzz... said...

Oh what a wonderful project, to straighten out those family pictures! Don't let them just sit in a box, and eventually disappear.

Wondering if you have any nieces or nephews, who would appreciate them eventually? So they would be sure to stay in the family and be cherished? That would be lovely.

Pam said...

The batik looks fabulous. I love the Fat Quarter Shop!

Unknown said...

Oy! getting organized! How wonderful for you ... be fun to see what you come up with at the end.

TY for your sweet notes. They mean a love to me.

Have a beautiful weekend.
TTFN ~ Marydon

Carol said...

Hope you feel better soon.
Bet all the scrap booking/paper art sites at "The Magic Carpet Ride" event will give you great ideas for photo page layouts.

Colleen Barnett said...

where do you find the time? I am sooo longing for time to do scrapbooking, sewing, LIVING! There just aren't enough hours in my day so I work, do housework, sleep, work, housework, sleep.

Mind you, we are going to the shopping centre today to take back a vacuum cleaner... that's my outing for the weekend! lol!

*I need a life... sigh* :-)

scraphappy said...

Oh no, another scrapbooker is born. I used to be one of those before I started quilting. It is a great hobby though, and so great for getting things organized. It will be fun to see your finished pages.

Art by Rhoda Forbes said...

The fabric is gorgeous, I agree the Fat Quarter shop folks are great.
Take it easy and rest.

Queen Of The Armchair aka Dzintra Stitcheries said...

Hi Micki...how cool you are getting organized with your family photos...I have boxes of them and hope to do that one day too....What a good idea for it all...Hope you are feeling better soon, Take care, Dzintra♥x

Unknown said...

Micki: it's the season of gloom, this January!
I have scanned a whole batch of family photos and put them on facebook for my family to see.
It's amazing what happened! I now have reconnected with all the cousins, and their children through thes photos. As the oldest grandchild, I have the most toys!
And do you realize how many of us clean up our quilting/sewing areas in January?
It's the cocooning thing
1

Unknown said...

Micki...How did yall meet. In love with your blog...

Smiles

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

Great purchases Micki!! Hope you feel better soon.