I began my miniature quilt called "My Little Town", which is a pattern from Carol Doak's miniature book of patterns . I finished row one of the quilt, and boy was there a lot of precision work. There will be 5 rows, and as you can see by the pic,
one of the borders is all paper pieced too. I am using batiks, and boy am I glad that I can see well enough to do that work. Each block is one and a half inches by one and a half inches, and each block has 14 very tiny pieces. Yes, they are tiny!!!!! The walls seem to be one piece, but they are a combination of several pieces put together.
I have not sewn together the blocks yet into rows, but you get an idea how small it will be as Joe put a ruler by it when he took the pic. The whole quilt will be 12 inches by 12 inches. I will do a row a day, and then do the paper pieced border, and the final border, and then I do the machine quilting.
I have included a pic of the whole quilt that Joe took from the book, so you can see what it will look like.
The ice has mostly melted here, but it is still cold, and at least we can take our walks as long as we have our boots on, as there are still patches of ice.
Enjoy your weekends! This week has flown by, but boy have the storms, snow and ice been a pain in you know what. LOL
31 comments:
Hi Micki...boy that is tiny!!! But very adorable...I think I would fumble my way through that one LOL...Take care on your walks with that ice around, and have a great weekend...Dzintra♥x
Ha ha...don't tell Joe, but the ruler was upside down. Seriously, are those blocks only 2 inches wide. Sheesh, I don't think I would have the patience for that.
Looks like you've got your work cut out for you. (or actually, you have to do a lot of cutting yourself!)
1 1/2 inches each. Oh my goodness!That is tiny!!! It will be gorgeous when finished.
lordy, my fat fingers would not cooperate well making this
Oh Micki, that is just so tiny... How on earth did you manage to sew it. I wouldnt even begin to try, I have poor eyesight for normal sized sewing.... and my fingers fumble too much lol. Hugs xxx
So tiny! don't break your spectacles half way through!XX
Well you go right ahead and have all that fun Micki...I will just watch you ...;-) Too tiny for these stiff fingers.
We had snow over night too but was a dusting only. Almost gone by time I was up and moving around.
Cold wind blowing though.
Take care on that ice.
Wow - I'm impressed, Micki!! You just go ahead and have a great time - I'll sit right back and watch :o) Looking forward to seeing your finished project -
Judie
that is really cute!
Very cute.....but certainly looks like a challenge. I'm not sure how I'd even go about cutting those small pieces, or even get them sewn in my machine. Maybe I could make a glue stick version with scraps? LOL.
Can't wait to see yours when it is finished. I'm sure it will be beautiful.
SewCalGal
www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com
Golly me! That really IS SMALL!
And when you've finished you can call it Dunfanaghy- when I saw the post title I thought it was going to be photos of Dunfanaghy all frozen!
Wow! That looks like a lot of work! Sometimes it is good to set a challenge like that for ourselves though, keeps us on our toes! Can't wait to see it all done!
I love your little town....you are amazing...
Coming along nicely. Are you hand-sewing or doing the pieces on the machine. I do love paper-piecing but have never done something that small yet. Please post photos as you get further along!
That is very cool!! I can't imagine working on something that small! WOW!
Be careful on those walks, remember to hold hands, it's good for the heart.
Its a very cute design- you must have good eyes and steady fingers. Can't wait to see your finished product.
Ohhh Micki, how can you see the pieces? Too tiny for me I think, I struggle with some of the tiny berries on the bride. Shall watch with anticipation to see it finished. Stay away from that ice, I'm sending warm thoughts to you and Joe.
Lizzie
XXX
I am in awe of your perseverance. I think if I had managed even one of those tiny rows I would put a big border around it and frame it, not think about making more.
I think my fingers are too fat to do small stuff like that.
I admire those that have the ability to fiddle with tiny pieces of fabric...that's you.
Cold, cold winter here in Canada and as you can imagine, we are all complaining about it. It's cold everywhere in the US of course too, but right now they blame it on the Arctic and not us poor Canucks...
Poor Joe, he does something nice and everyone is jumping all over him!
Wow!!! Your little houses and trees are wonderful!!
I love your colour combinations.
Are you hand sewing or using the machine??
I hope the storms and ice stay away.
Keep warm!
Good luck with the mini quilt Micki.
At least with a mini you don't have to stress about the backing, the wadding and hand quilting!
sounds good to me.
That is itsy bitsy! I think I'd HAVE to paper piece to make something that small.
Micki, I just started a class doing paper piecing and it is with stars and the pieces are very tiny!! I'm a little nervous but am going to try! Your adorable block would certainly try my patience!! Good luck! Nice to keep walking, keeps the old heart ticking in the cold weather! Do be careful though!!
Wow Micki that is tiny I would not even try.Will be so cute when you are finished.I am going to start a Dear Jane and I think some of those blocks are small.
Wonderful. Looking forward to seeing the finished project. My last attempt at tiny paper piecing was a disaster :(
Micki, you would need tiny, tiny fingers to do that intricate work. Well done! Can't wait to see the finished piece!
x
I do like house quilts! Yours will be a good one for sure!
Very nice but couldn't do that smaller work
Hugs Janice
You certainly are keen Micki. That's way too small for me and I like miniatures. It's a super pattern. Sorry you're not enjoying the cold. We will hit 40degC/105F tomorrow. Yuk! Not my favourite weather at all. Happy Stitching and stay warm. Cheers, Ann :-)
Oh my gosh you are brave, I think that would be way too small for me Micki. it will be a real treasure when it is finished.
Post a Comment