Monday, October 27, 2008

Autumn Leaf Scarf in Progress




Today, I began my Autumn Leaf Scarf. I first had to create the wool fabric, so I took wisps of wool roving and placed it horizontally and vertically onto Vilene, which is a water soluble stabilizer, and used several fall colours, such as yellow, orange, green, red, and brown. I then machine felted the wool roving onto the vilene . When I was throughly done felting the roving, I rinsed out the vilene and allowed the newly created wool fabric to dry. I have pictured the wool fabric that I produced. Then I cut leaves out of the fabric and punched them onto the wool scarf that I sewed today. The scarf is made of a lightweight wool and the edges finished with an overcast stitch. I then added some vines using yarn that I had that matched the colours that I had used, and completed one side of the scarf.
Tomorrow, I will do the other side with a similar arrangement. I will add veins to all of the leaves with a beautiful metallic green yarn that I have and complete the scarf with the embellishments that I want to use. I will post the final pic when I am done.

3 comments:

Marie said...

Your scarf is going to be soooo pretty! You will be all cozy and warm when you wear it on your walks. Once again, Micki, good job!
Marie

~ Phyllis ~ said...

Micki,
Thank you. Now I understand felting a little better.

Queen Of The Armchair aka Dzintra Stitcheries said...

What a beautiful scarf and such gorgeous autumn colours. Love the Sheba bag too...