Monday, May 18, 2009

Monday Happenings


A blogging friend of mine named Marie whose blog is at http://mariequilts.blogspot.com/ posted about another blogger named Carol, whose blog is What's Happening With Carol at the following link: http://whatshappeningwithcarol.blogspot.com/. She died of rectal cancer this month. If you want to be inspired, go look at her blog. Having had cancer, I was so touched by her blog. It is very sad to read the posts, but at the same time you see a strength in Carol that we can all learn from. I send my prayers and thoughts to Carol's family. I am sorry that she did not join the list of cancer survivors that she had on her blog, and it did get me thinking about her and how lucky I was to have survived cancer.

Besides reading Carol's blog posts today, I continued to machine quilt the Carnivale Wallhanging, and I am almost finished doing the free motion quilting. It does get tiring, so I stopped, but I will try to finish the quilting tomorrow, so I can cut the strips for the binding. I had a lovely exchange of emails from my friend Anne Marie, who is another American who came to Ireland. I know that I have written about her, and hope that you visit her at http://americanquilterinireland.blogspot.com/ She lives on a sheep farm and runs a gorgeous B&B. After writing her a bit, I then cut the strips for my Harvest Moon project. The pattern was a multi pattern that had to be Scotch taped together, so I finally finished running off the parts and getting them put together, as you can see by the pic.


I will begin that after I finish the Carnivale wallhanging. I am also beginning my miniature landscape course at Quilt University this Saturday, so I will be busy with that.


Hope everyone has a wonderful day stitching and just enjoying their day. Thanks for all of the wonderful friendships and emails that I get from everyone...they all mean so much!






12 comments:

Jocelyn said...

Micki, sounds like you are a busy lady. Hope you have a wonderful week!

Jocelyn
http://happycottagequilter.blogspot.com/

Marie said...

Hey Girlfriend, I received our package on Saturday and I love the emb. lace doily, thanks so much. I always love to see your work. I am so happy to know that you are a cancer survior, I was only praying for Carol to be one too,what a special lady she was to all who came in contac with her.Hugs, Marie

Kath said...

Thankyou for telling us about Carol. I just spent an hour feeling both happy and sad, reading about this lovely, brave lady and her gorgeous daughter and family.Kath x

Auntie sezzzzzz... said...

Dear One, I'm so happy that you survived cancer. My daughter is a cancer survivor too.

Aunt Amelia

Nat Palaskas said...

Dear Micki, thanks for sharing Carol's story with us. I have not visited her blog, but I will when I have a bit more time. I often thought what will happen to my blog after I gone? What will happen? Google will have to come up with a solution for that? Your fabrics for the miniature landscape look gorgeous.

Laurie said...

I spoke to a former coworker today who has incurable cancer. It seems like once faced with that, people find an amazing strength within themselves. I'm glad you're healthy again. Have fun with your projects!

Bunny said...

Thanks for introducing me to Carol, so sad for her family. I am also happy to hear you are a survivor bless you.
I am so interested in your new project love the fabrics.

quiltmom anna said...

HI Micki,
It makes me feel so sad to hear of Carol's passing. I have read her blog for many months and she had been fighting so hard to win her battle. She has a young family - my thoughts and prayers are with them all at this time.
As always you have been busy creating lovely things. I have my trip around the world quilts started. I have the strip panels sewn together and will cross cut them tomorrow. I have an extra day off so I hope to spend it sewing.
Warmest regards,
Anna

a good yarn said...

Thanks for your comments on my last post Micki. I am a big fan of Irish music - my mother played it along with the bagpipes, opera and country& western. At uni I discovered the Furies and the Chieftains. I have a fantastic CD by Davy Spillane. I can't help but think of my dear mother when I hear his songs, she loved them and listened to them throughout her battle with the cancer to which she succumbed.

You've been a busy girl (I can't keep up with your posts) and wish that I was achieveing as much as you. Have a terrific week...Ann :)

Maggi said...

A lovely post Micki. So glad you are one of the survivors. Maggi x

Queen Of The Armchair aka Dzintra Stitcheries said...

And Thank You Micki for your friendship...I'm so pleased you are a survivor.
And Thank You for letting us know about Carol...Blessings to you, Dzintra ♥x

Nanette Merrill said...

I watched a tv special on Farrah Fawcett this week on her rectal cancer and treatment. SO SO Sad!