Friday, October 30, 2009

Goings On Around Our Cottage

We have been quite busy! Our bathtub was finally installed, and it landed up being much more beautiful than I expected. The plumber put in a real wood siding, and Joe put a clear varnish on it. We are letting the varnish dry...I will be taking my next luxurious bath tomorrow, and I will post a pic tomorrow to show you all my new bath. What can I say, I love it!

I also got three lovely siggies in he mail: One was from Morgun in Norway who sent me a gorgeous siggy made of pink batik fabric and an owl in the centre block. She collects owls, and this one was stiched so nicely! Then I also received a penguin siggy from Ineke, who lives in The Netherlands. What a cute addition that will be to my siggy quilt! Finally, I got a lovely hand stitched block from Illene who lives in Australia. The fabric is a very romantic print. Thanks so much to you both!

This weekend is the Halloween Festival in Dunfanaghy, or as the Irish also call it, All Hallows Eve Festival. The ancient gaelic festival marks the end of the summer harvest ( Samhain), a time where the ancient Celts believed that on October 31st, now known as Halloween, the boundary between the living and the deceased dissolved, and the dead become dangerous for the living. In the village of Dunfanaghy, we have traditional All Hallows Eve festivites with a fantastic torch-lit procession which leaves from our Ozanam Centre, a graveyard walk, and a fireworks extravaganza as well, which is held at the pier near the town square. The fireworks is followed by music and food in the square and lots of festivities. Plus, all throughout the weekend, there are many activities for the children and lots of parties at the various hotels and pubs in our village. We will take pics of the procession and fireworks etc, this year and I think that you will enjoy our Celtic celebration! Anways, here is a pic from last year, so it should get you into the mood. I will post this year's post during the weekend.

Oh, check out this site that I found called
Sue Spargo's Folk Art Quilts. I will have to do something of hers one day.

Enjoy your Friday! Joe and I are just beginning our day here and our village is covered with a wonderful mist.

14 comments:

Abatevintage said...

All Hallows Eve festival sounds like so much fun. I have always wanted to go to Ireland, and found out that right before Amy died it was a dream of hers as well :0) I think one day I will have to take the trip for the both of us. I hope your Halloween is wonderful I love to dress up for Halloween, and this year decided I will be a fairy lol ofcourse. Have a great evening.

Blessings,
Heidi

Daffycat said...

Ooo, you need bubbles! Calgon, take me away! Remember that from American TV?

Love the photo, lol, have lots of fun!

Abby and Stephanie said...

Have a fantastic All Hallow's Eve celebration!!!

Your signature quilt is going to be a special treasure.

Kaaren said...

I didn't realize that you were a siggie swapper, Micki. Mine will be in the mail to you on Monday.

Have a happy All Halloweds Eve.

Laurie said...

What a scary photo! Have fun and we will want to hear about it --

Anonymous said...

Your All Hallows Eve celebration sounds wonderful. I also celebrate Halloween as All Hallows Eve. I can't wait to see your pictures. I would love to live in Ireland. Sigh.... It sounds enchanting ♥

Queen Of The Armchair aka Dzintra Stitcheries said...

Micki I'm so excited...it's now Sat♥xurday morning and Halloween!!! We are celebrating for the first time...Happy Halloween to you both...Dzintra

Miriam said...

Enjoy Halloween!!

More importantly, enjoy that bath!!!

Pam said...

I am looking forward to see the photos of the new tub!!

Have a great All Hallows Eve -- that sounds so much more fun than going around trick or treating!

Anonymous said...

Hi Micki,

Sue Spargo was just here last month at a quilt shop in the next town. Her designs seem very fun!

Simone de Klerk said...

I hope you enjoyed your bath in you new tub (O:
Happy Halloween! Love the picture to scare us away (O:

Kath said...

I love the photo of you and Joe, all dressed up for Halloween :D
Enjoy your bath! Kath x

Beansieleigh said...

Hi Micki! Love your costumes from last year, and can't wait to see what you wore THIS year! Enjoy the All Hallow's Eve Fest! It sounds like fun!! ~tina

Liz said...

Just catching up with some posts and I have to tell you that I ordered Sue Spargo's new BOM two weeks ago, it starts in Jan/Feb I think! Great minds..........??
Lizzie
XXX