
When Joe and I first got married, he wanted to show me Ireland, so we did tent camping around the country. When we came to Donegal County, we both fell in love with it. Joe had never seen it before, and I thought it was a touch of heaven. I said to Joe, "Gee, I wish that we could live here." We were living in the middle of the country at that time, and Joe said, " Then, we will move here", and by golly we did! We have found a great deal of peace and beauty here in Donegal, and we never take it for granted. Today, we took our usual long walk, met a neighbor down the hill from us that we had never met before, and his friendliness was amazing. I took an instant liking to him. Anyways, I thought you might like to see this video of Donegal. It is a Gaelic song about Donegal and it shows lovely scenes from our county, including our village of Dunfanaghy, which you can see also pictured above.As to whether it was an adjustment living here in Ireland, well, I can honestly say that the hardest thing for me personally was getting used to living in a small village, as I came from Philly, which was huge. Now funny enough, I don't think that I could go back to living in a large city, and I guess that's why I felt so overwhelmed when I visited our capital city of Dublin recently. So, to answer your questions, I would never live anywhere else! Joe and I have found our niche, and we are truly happy. Enjoy the videos!! I am also including Christy Moore's song "City of Chicago", which is about the Irish Great Hunger or Famine, where Irish people were forced to emigrate. This is about someone who went to Chicago and still remembered his beloved Donegal. Christy Moore wrote the song and sings it from his heart, and I think you will love it.He is one of my favorite Irish singers.
Here is a lovely poem about Donegal, and it captures how everyone who has seen and lived here in Donegal feels about this grand ol' county:
My Old Thatched Cottage
Take me back to my old thatched cottageIn far off DonegalWhere the thrushes sing in the eveningBeside the waterfall
I'm tired of the noise of the cityI long for the peace of the plowWhere the sea gulls circle above meAs I wipe the sweat from my brow
I long for the sounds of the horsesThe cows coming down from the hillsThe bleat of the lambs in the springtimeThe song of the lark, how it thrills
I want to go back to the heatherThe roses that cling round the doorTo the hawthorn, the primrose, and daisiesTo my childhood again as of yore
Take me back to my dear old motherIn far off DonegalWhere the thrushes sing in the eveningBeside the waterfall
Hope this post helped to answer some of your questions.Enjoy the videos and the lovely scenery of our county....our beloved Donegal.
31 comments:
What a wonderful post. I don't think that many people are able to find that place that is just perfect for them, you are lucky you have!
Micki, Great post. Very insightful. I also enjoyed the link to the youtube video on Donegal. Beautiful.
SewCalGal
www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com
This post makes me want to pack a bag and come and visit you! Ireland is somewhere I have always wanted to go. I'm just afraid I won't want to come back home!!
Micki, I love you post! It brought tears to my eyes because I love Ireland so much. It reminded me of our trip and how we want to return some day. So glad you two found your niche. Donegal looks like a wonderful place to call home. The beaches look marvelous. We didn't make it up north, but will next time. Thanks for sharing. Mumzie
I enjoyed hearing about why you are there....how fun to be able to move and live where you are so happy. You do make me want to move there.
Such a beautiful and insightful post today. Your heart obviously remains in Donegal, even though some of your memories are in Philly. Thank you so much for sharing this part of you today.
A great story and I just loved the video as well. I feel more British than Canadian. And I look like a German. Life is strange.
Thank you Micki for a lovely post, fabulous poem and videos, you are a lucky girl to live in such a beautiful place, but then I think Donegal is very lucky to have you too. Enjoy the rest of the week.
Lizzie
XXX
The video was very nice... I kept trying to figure out which side of the road you guys drive on! Still don't know.
Gorgeous scenery around your part of the world for sure.
I loved the videos! Will have to look up both artists for their albums.
My dear friend Micki, thank you for the wonderful video of Your wonderful country! Amazingly beautiful! I loved it! I loved your whole post! But do you have any family far away in Philly now? Have they come to visit you there in Donegal? It's so wonderful you and Joe found the peace you treasure there!! I'm so happy for you!! Hugs, Barbara
What was the word you called your husband... he was your... and (some Gaelic word.) I can't remember what post. I sure did enjoy reading this post... and I am happy to say I am scheduled to work a large convention in Philadelphia next May. Can't wait. Also my favorite Irish song... may be the cliffs of Duneen... I think that is what it is called. We had an Irish cd..with it on it. Then some of the lilting music... you all hear all the time. Just love Irish music.
One of my all time favorite movies was set (at least supposedly) in Donegal-it was called "the Closer You Get" & I think released in the US as "American Women".I don't know how accurate the scenery was, but I fell in love with Donegal!
I had just returned from a trip to Ireland and was so sad it had not been on our itinerary!
My Grandfather's family originated in the area near there & they migrated to Phillie in the mid 1800, so I guess we are seeing full circle here!
Lovely post Micki..
Ireland is such a beautiful place..so green!
I love Donagal tweed, I had a suit made from the tweed many years ago.
Julia ♥
Thanks for the "Cultural Tour" of Donegal. It took me hours 'cos I had to listen to lots of the songs on YT and read the poem several times to see thru' the tears and the pics reminded me of sights I've seen so much...I've come over all emotional. Eirophile thru & thru...thats me.
What a sweet post, Micki!! I have enjoyed your posts on the Irish sights.
A lovely post about your home. This just shows we are not tied to the one place we are born in, but the place that is a sanctuary for our soul.
I think the spontaneous move is wonderfully romantic.
It looks so nice & peaceful as well as beautiful scenery
Hugs Janice
That is so sweet that you are so peaceful in life. Few people get to experience how wonderful life can actually be. Thanks for the inspiring post, Micki it was fantastic.
Hi Philly girl...how romantic that your Heart is now at home in Donegal...what a wonderful story...and I am so happy you have found Peace there with your Anam Cara...Dzintra♥x
It is lovely -- I'm glad you have found your second home! It's really something to find two such places you feel at home in!
What a great way to pick a place to live. Loved the video.
What a lovely story, Micki! Good thing you and Joe had the same dream. Mine and Dear Hubby's aren't quite on the same page.....we're close but not close enough to make a life change.
Lovely true story!
I had thought you were living, where Joe had always lived. How sweet of him to up-and-move the both of you, to a new area.
Hey Micki - What a great post!
I know what it's like to fall instantly in love with a place. We did that in Cairns, and upped sticks to move back across the world five years ago.
Give my love to Ireland!
Rachelle x
I can see why you fell in love! I love the video. It looks magical there!
Great video -- boy once you start there a million videos of Donegal -- "The Hills of Donegal" It looks like a beautiful place to live that's for sure.
What's a great post Micki. You are lucky to find such lovely place to live. I have very fond memory of Ireland. I will post my Irish quilt up soon - Hugs
What a great story! We moved to the country years ago & now when we go to even small cities, we crave home.
You chose a beautiful place to call home!
After watching the video I have tears in my eyes! Its beautiful!! There was even a photo of Raphoe where my relatives came from many years ago. I really have to get to visit Ireland one day!
Thank you for the video.
I had to send a that video link to a couple of friends. I saw several places I want to visit!.
Post a Comment