My November Star is Serena who has wonderful blogs called See Serena Sew and See Serena Serve. She lives in a beautiful part of America called the Appalachia, and she is multi-talented. She just gave birth to a beautiful boy named Nicholas, and I just read on one of her blogs that she is going through some really difficult post birth headaches. Go over and visit her , and you will meet a truly beautiful and inspiring person. I think that what I love about her the most is her lovely smile....It shows her beautiful spirit. I am thrilled to see that she is a hand quilter, and I so admire her patience in what I know to be a very difficult craft.Enjoy her interview, and thanks so much Serena for being my November Star.
A Bit About Me: I am a quilter! I love to read, cook and journal too. I've worked five very different jobs in my life (fast food fry girl, jail file clerk, nursing aide, non profit secretary, and mama) and find parenting to be the most challenging. I started piecing as a wee little girl with my mom. I made little nine patches , doll clothes, and small bags for my baby doll's things. I've had a sewing basket since before I can remember but did not seriously get into quilting until I was in my late teens. I'm almost 25 now and spend my days at home with my two kids.- What Inspires Me: What doesn't?? I try to maintain a visual openness to the world around me. I find photographs to be extremely fascinating as well as time spent outdoors. I'm greatly inspried by personal experiences, current events, and stories I am told or read. Sometimes, the smallest news clipping has me brainstorming for years. Even if a direct life to fabric correlation can't be seen, I still feel that my choices for color, design elements, and the overall schematic of a piece is greatly influenced by what I've read, seen, felt, and experienced.
- What I Love to Do the Most Creatively: I love to design, select fabrics, and piece but I admit I'm a bit slow on the quilting and terribly slow on the binding.
- My Favorite Fabric and Designer: I adore scraps. I love fabrics from different time periods, abroad, and from clothing. My stash, which is all I use these days, dates from the 1920's to 2009. I like fabric to tell a story. If someone gives me a 2 inch square and tells me it holds meaning for them, and the story behind it then that piece is worth as much to me as six yards of the best selling fabric from the latest line in a local quilt shop.
- UFO I Intend to Finish First: I consider everything a UFO. What I'm working on now? A gift for a friend, quilting my first quilt, which had been tied, piecing anything that strikes my fancy as needing to be pieced and attempting to talk myself into binding something.
- What's on the Design Wall Now: My reproduction courthouse steps and my vintage Christmas Stars. I save the design wall for quilts that I have to know the layout on. I have various others in bags that I can pull out quickly to take with me that I don't necessarily have to know the orientation of the entire quilt in order to piece successfully.
- Who would I Love to Meet: Quilters from previous generations. I'd give anything to have my great grandmother around to talk to about quilting not because she was a master quilter, but because she made quilts and used them up.
- If I had One Wish: Hmmmm unlimited reign at a 24 hour fabric store with good friends and endless coffee! Sadly, most of them are blog land friends. I would love to move them all right next door.
- Plans for the Future: Keep my fingers busy doing a craft that brings me joy and peace!
Here are some of Serena's w
ork, and my are you going to see some wonderful eye candy!


Thanks so much for a great interview Serena! I know that everyone has throughly enjoyed it!
13 comments:
What a lovely write. Will pop over & visit her.
Have a BOO-tea-FuLl Halloween. TTFN ~Marydon
** Watch for huge giveaways that start tomorrow for several weeks.
Oh, what a beautiful talented November Star you got this time. I know she is going through a bit of a hard time at the moment. Thanks Micki for sharing your creation - Hugs Nat
I really enjoyed Serena's story, thanks Micki!
Hugs - Lurline♥
Great post, Micki.... thanks for another great "star" post.
Great Star Post!!! Thanks for sharing it!!
What a lovely interview and so inspiring. Your November Star definitely is a very special person! I'll go over to her blog now, to actually 'meet' her (O: Have a lovely Sunday, dear Micki.
thanks Micki, for the introduction to Serena, I"m going to pop over to her blog and introduce myself! wonderful interview, once again!
A wonderful interview Micki of a very special person...I so admire her work and way of quilting all by hand...Dzintra♥x
Thanks for helping us get to know Serena a little better. She has some beautiful quilts. I especially love the scrappy ones.
Thanks for the interview. I have never visited Serena' s blog before. Will go again. Wonderful post. Thanks again.
What a wonderful interview. Her things look beautiful.
Willow
Thanks for a wonderful interview. I have been over and visited Serena and will continue doing so.
wow! beautiful stuff..I will go visit her....
Post a Comment