Thursday, October 1, 2009

The Streets of Ireland Quilt, Two Siggies and Surprise Thimbles in the Mail





Joe and I have been painting yet again. We got the outside of the cottage done, but we are diligently working on the inside. We have everything done but the living room and the bedroom. We just finished the kitchen. It is all yellow, and we painted the wood cabinets a lovely white matching the storage cabinets, so it really does give it a cottage kitchen look. We will do the bedroom on Sunday, take a little break, and then finish the bedroom the following weekend. A plumber is coming in October to add the bathtub to our newly painted pink bathroom. I miss having the bubble bath with a candle lit, so I will be doing that soon. My ducky is ready, plus my loofah sponge, and the radio is in place to give me the background music. What a luxury!
Now, today, I worked most of the day, and I ironed the applique pieces to the Streets of Ireland Quilt. I finished all of the machine applique today. Tomorrow, I will embroider the signposts with the town names of Dublin, Killarney, and Waterford. I did not machine applique the signposts yet, as I need to embroider them, so I just laid the quilt on the floor for the pic, and I placed the signposts on it, so you could see where they will go. I have tons of embellishment and machine quilting to do once I get the layers toghether, such as making the window panes, doorknobs, etc. It needs lots of decorative stitching, so I have lots to do. I will enjoy decorating the houses and putting detail on the flowers, as I know it will add so much to the quilt. People have been asking me to post a pic of the quilt in progress, so here it is.


Also, I got a lovely siggy from Tom Le Clerc who lives in Kansas. He is a retired psychologist who got into qulting with the help of his wife Mary, who is an awesome quilter. Also, I got a surprise in the mail from Janice in England who sent me a few thimbles to add to my collection. I will be on the lookout for thimbles of Ireland to send her.

Thanks to the two of you so much!


I am off to make dinner, then knit a bit, and watch tv. Enjoy your day!

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Micki,

Your streets of Ireland block is just adorable. I can't wait to see when the finishing touches are added.

Jocelyn said...

Wow you have been a busy girl! What a cute block. I agree with Wendy, I can't wait to see it finished.

Abatevintage said...

Mickie, that quilt is going to look so amazing I love the peices that you are putting together so colorful and vibrant. Thank you for visiting me and your continued prayers for Amy bless you for that.

Hugs,
Heidi

Searchfamilies said...

Glad that the thimbles arrived it taken a bit longer than it should i know things to arrive over the pond quicker lol
nice siggy block
Hugs Janice

CindyMae said...

Love the quilt block, it is fabulous!!! That is going to be such a gorgeous quilt! Great siggy too!!

webbsway said...

What a lovely post and your gifts are just awesome. I had to laugh when you said pink bathroom - you Must have a special Hubby!!!! LOL
You quilt is lovely also - gosh you all sure are working hard and accomplishing a LOT!
Lots of love
Linda

andsewon said...

Same here Micki...I am high on paint scent.. ha!
I had better get back out there an finish up a cabinet to bring in for the evening from carport.
I am loving that street quilt!!! I am going to have to add that to my list.
What sweet gifts and cute siggie so nice to receive such mail.
Hope you are not over doing the leg!!!
Hugs,
Lola

Chris H said...

Thimbles eh? OK so now I am looking for a KIWI thimble for Janice AND you!
have a great day.
Did you ever send that Irish Charm my way??

Judy S. said...

My goodness, you are a busy soul! And so very productive. I could use a bit of your energy!

Debbie Arnold said...

Hi Micki
Love the quilt it is going to be beautiful when you are finished, can't wait to see. Deb

Snot Head (a.k.a Kylie) said...

Looks like you have been hard at work, as have I. I am working like crazy on my crochet stuff right now. I can't wait to be done with this order, though, so I can start working on my own stuff again and get back to my blog! Glad to see you are doing well. A picture of the new kitchen would be nice. :)

Abby and Stephanie said...

Since I'm fairly new to your blog I gather you're doing a bit of house remodeling? Love the streets of Ireland. My mother has a thimble collection. Everywhere I go I get one for her.

Jackie's Stitches said...

Your block of an Irish street is wonderful! You've been busy.

What a nice surprise with the thimbles!

carole ann said...

You have been one busy bee, the Streets of Dublin is really coming together nicely, cannot wait to see it finished.

Millie said...

Micki, the Street of Ireland block is adorable...and perfect for somebody who lives there.

Queen Of The Armchair aka Dzintra Stitcheries said...

Hi Micki...I like that siggy with the cowboy on it!!! And your painting is nearly done...yay!!! Have a wonderful weekend...Dzintra♥x

Heckety said...

So I guess that IS you in the bath, I wondered! The 'streets of Ireland' is coming along nicely by the looks of it.
I hope you are minding your back with the painting...Auntie Heckety being bossy I know!

Mrs Quilty said...

Oh Micki, you work so hard, you and Joe! Painting, and then Sewing! And everything else! Wow! How do you do it all? What's the weather like there in Ireland now? We are having fall here in the Northwest of the U.S. High of 62 degrees today, beautiful sunshine days still and blue skies, just feeling a little chillier! I love it!