Joe and I went on a lovely walk and saw two beautiful horses...a mare and the cutest foal that you could imagine. Pictures had to be taken, and thank God, we had the camera with us. The day was sunny, but cool, and we throughly enjoyed our hike in Dunfanaghy. I fed the mare carrots, but the foal was too young to eat them. I just loved them!
Then,Diana from Custom Blog Designs at http://customblogdesigns.blogspot.com/made me the cutest button, which I won for my blog. You can see it at the right. It has a pic of Dunfanaghy with the title Irish Muses and Life in Dunfanaghy. I love it! What a lovely prize for my blog and thanks for the wonderful design!
Then, I spent the early part of the afternoon making another block for my Carnivale wall hanging. I am on a roll now, and I am enjoying each and every one that I am making. I found the most wonderful pattern in Deb Karasik's latest book Quilts With Attitude called Harvest Moon...It is a very dramatic huge moon that is paper pieced against a dark sky background. Joe fell in love with it too, and I will make that one once I finish the wallhangings. It is stunning, as the colours in the moon are so vibrant! I think that I am addicted to spikes and curves!
Finally, a good friend of mine named Mary who lives near Young in the bush area, sent me a wonderful pic and story. I am putting it in the post, as I thought it was so poignant!
Here it is:
The story of an Australian Digger in Afghanistan with his tiny plot of grass in front of his tent.
The story of an Australian Digger in Afghanistan with his tiny plot of grass in front of his tent.Here is a soldier stationed in Afghanistan; posted to a big sand box. He asked his wife to send him dirt (Australian soil), fertilizer, and some grass seed so that he can smell the grass, and feel it grow beneath his feet. When the men of the squadron have a mission that they are going on, they take turns walking through the grass in Australian soil - to bring them good luck.
(If you notice, he is even cutting the grass with a pair of a scissors. Sometimes we are in such a hurry that we don't stop and think about the little things that we take for granted.)
I just thought this was so heartwarming, and really represented all the soldiers serving all over the world and how they must feel. Just thought I would share this.
Well, that was my day so far. I am heading off to make dinner for everyone!
5 comments:
Hi Micki -
That was a really moving story. The photo that captured him tending to his little piece of 'home' said it all.
Catherine
The block is beautiful Micki, as is the foal. Thanks for the story of the Afghanistan 'garden' - makes you realise just what they are going through. Maggi
Very appropriate story for ANZAC Day here in Australia. Thanks Micki
What a wonderful post! I love that story of the soldier! And, fantastic button for your blog!
It's fascinating what little things from home will bring comfort to these men so far away....Ann :)
Post a Comment