

Amy, at Park City Girl, which is located at http://parkcitygirl.blogspot.com/ is having a Bloggers Quilt Festival, and I thought it such a fabulous idea that I decided to join. The object is to tell about your favorite quilt and then read about all the other quilters' favorite quilts who have entered.
So here goes the story....Without a shadow of a doubt, my favorite quilt that I ever made was the Sylvia Bridal Sampler. I had read many of Jennifer Chiaverini's Elm Creek novels, and I felt a kinship to Sarah McClure, who funny enough was from Pennsylvania like myself and also moved to a new place and found a guild like myself. So making the Sylvia Bridal Sampler was an easy decision. I discovered that each block was 6 inches, and having never made a Sampler before, I never guessed what it entailed. My goodness, I found out it had 140 blocks, and many of them were very difficult indeed! Well, it turned out to be a wonderful learning experience, and it changed my life in many ways. I bought my favorite fabrics from the Michael Miller collection of fairy frosts, and began my journey. I took several blocks with me to the quilting bees, and as in the book, I worked on each block in conjunction with trying to form friendships in my quilting group. Everyone was amazed at the complexity of the patterns, and especially how small the blocks were, and through conversations about the blocks, I slowly worked my way into the group. I learned so many different techniques, and it was an incredible four months in my life. One quilter from the group has decided to make the quilt also, but most humourously said that they would never have the patience to do a quilt like that. I finally finished the quilt, after working on it diligently each and every day for four months. Joe and I had to go to the Workhouse to take a pic of it, as it was too huge to take it in our home. It was a day to remember, as we attempted to try to figure out how to take a picture of what turned out be a king sized quilt. Yes, king sized, and we have a double sized bed.LOL Joe finally took the pic, and even that day was memorable for me. Joe is the photographer of the family, and he is always there to stand on chairs or whatever is needed to take the best pic possible. I am sure that everyone has a story about a quilt that they made that made a significant difference in their lives, so you might consider joining the list. Oh, just to tell you, the Sylvia Bridal Sampler was made by the characters in the sixth novel called The Master Quilter, and I will never ever get the buzz that I received when I made that quilt.
So here goes the story....Without a shadow of a doubt, my favorite quilt that I ever made was the Sylvia Bridal Sampler. I had read many of Jennifer Chiaverini's Elm Creek novels, and I felt a kinship to Sarah McClure, who funny enough was from Pennsylvania like myself and also moved to a new place and found a guild like myself. So making the Sylvia Bridal Sampler was an easy decision. I discovered that each block was 6 inches, and having never made a Sampler before, I never guessed what it entailed. My goodness, I found out it had 140 blocks, and many of them were very difficult indeed! Well, it turned out to be a wonderful learning experience, and it changed my life in many ways. I bought my favorite fabrics from the Michael Miller collection of fairy frosts, and began my journey. I took several blocks with me to the quilting bees, and as in the book, I worked on each block in conjunction with trying to form friendships in my quilting group. Everyone was amazed at the complexity of the patterns, and especially how small the blocks were, and through conversations about the blocks, I slowly worked my way into the group. I learned so many different techniques, and it was an incredible four months in my life. One quilter from the group has decided to make the quilt also, but most humourously said that they would never have the patience to do a quilt like that. I finally finished the quilt, after working on it diligently each and every day for four months. Joe and I had to go to the Workhouse to take a pic of it, as it was too huge to take it in our home. It was a day to remember, as we attempted to try to figure out how to take a picture of what turned out be a king sized quilt. Yes, king sized, and we have a double sized bed.LOL Joe finally took the pic, and even that day was memorable for me. Joe is the photographer of the family, and he is always there to stand on chairs or whatever is needed to take the best pic possible. I am sure that everyone has a story about a quilt that they made that made a significant difference in their lives, so you might consider joining the list. Oh, just to tell you, the Sylvia Bridal Sampler was made by the characters in the sixth novel called The Master Quilter, and I will never ever get the buzz that I received when I made that quilt.
I think that what I like about this bloggers event is that you get to read about other quilters' lives , and the list of the participants is now very long . I am enjoying reading the stories, and that is the lovely thing about sharing our lives through our blogs...we are forming wonderful friendships. As Jennifer Chiaverini said so eloquently about her characters in her books: "The Elm Creek Quilters learn that friendship is a most precious gift, and that even in the darkest of times, love illuminates the way home." I do agree with that wholeheartedly...We are sharing our lives each and every day, and even though seperated by great distance, we are forming wonderful friendships. So, if you decide to join in, enjoy all the stories and just be totally inspired!
Enjoy the virtual quilt show!
45 comments:
Micki.. I love your version of SBS I also belong to this group and had started to make her quilt. One friend had it pieced and quilted in 6 months!! Yours is gorgeous..have you done one of her swaps as yet??
Listen Micki, you quilt with a capitol Q. Honestly, I loved the quilt and you certainly know how to tell a story.
Am glad to have found you.
You did that in four months??? It would take me four DECADES! ;-)
What a lovely quilt, story and memories.
My daughter Patty at http://myhomemadelife.blogspot.com/2009/04/bloggers-quilt-festival.html is also joining in along with several of my other blog friends. I do have quilts but their store in a trunk and I'm too pressed for time to take pic's at the moment.
Happy quilting
oh my micki!!!
what a STUNNING quilt.
6" blocks!?!
wow.
Your quilt is so beautiful. I love the colors, especially the emerald greens.
A so nice and well-worked quilt! Thanks for showing.
I read most of the books and I have the patterns. One of these days I"ll tackle them.
Happy to see you joined in the festival and picked this particular quilt. Lovely.
This quilt is beautiful too. But I think my heart belongs to the Sweetheart one. :-) With all the pink and reds.
And I knew my 'Twilight' fan readers, would enjoy the 'New Moon' part of my Sat. post. :-))) We gals know how to enjoy such, hu? Who says you have to be 16, to have fun??? -giggles-
And I loved that 'New Moon' poster pic of 'Jacob' soooooo much, I had to put it on my Sidebar. Yes, I am totally an "_old_ fan girl," but I can't help it. -giggles-
And betcha' I give some of my blog readers, a good chuckle too!
'Aunt Amelia'
Doing that in 4 months is amazing!
What a gorgeous quilt! A couple other people have commented on those books...I may have to start reading them!
Your quilt is beautiful! And you did it in only 4 months? Inccredible! And what a lovely story to go with it. Good job!
I love all the colors in the quilt, so pretty. I really enjoy sampler quilts, so much to look at. :)
It is incredible that you took on doing a quilt with so many intricate pieces, and finished it. Thank you for sharing!
This is an incredibly beautiful quilt! Love the story and how the quilt turned out king size!
Wow, are you saying you did this whole quilt in four months! That is some achievement and it so touching to read how it has brought you friendship from fellow quilters. Maggi x
Oh my goodness. That is wonderful, and so much work went into it!
Absolutely amazing! What a beautiful quilt!
Wow, that is truly a work of art. I love your color selections!
I read every one of those books and loved them. Apparently she has a new one out called "The Lost Quilter". I need to read it soon.
Your quilt is so lovely. And fun that you based it on the quilt in the book. Great job!
Oh, Micki, what a fantastic story! And the end product is stunning! You are truely a craftswoman.
And thankfully, Joe is there to take the pictures!!!!!
OMG, incredible. I absolutely love this quilt.
What a beautiful quilt. I've made a Sylvia's too and working on a Dear Jane and Dutch Treat now. Aren't samplers fun?
Micki I have to agree with you. It has been so fun to meet other quilters/bloggers. I love your quilt! It really looks like a challenge. Thanks for sharing it.
WOW, great color combination.
Oh, Micki - you must be so proud! Just a joy to behold!
Hugs - Lurline♥
Great story! Lovely quilt!
Micki, what a fabulous quilt! And what a story. So glad I found your blog.
I too love the Elm Creek Quilt books, feel like they are part of my family. Have just finished 'The Lost Quilter', very good.
What a beautiful quilt! I've slowly been making my way through the 'Virtual Quilt Show' so it's nice to see a familiar face!
Cheers,
Dionne
Very lovely quilt! Thank you for stopping by blog.
Wow! Hands down the best Sylvia's Bridal Sampler I've seen. What a quilt to be proud of!
Wow! this is fabulous. I too, enjoy the Elm Creek Quilt novels.
Isn't this festival simply the best?
Your Sylvia's Bridal Quilt is simply stunning. It makes me want to make the whole thing. Maybe someday I'll have the time and energy
I'd eat it before I'd finish it, especially in four months. Beautiful work....Is it the same pattern , or similar, to the Dear Jane blocks?
I love your quilt and the colors that you chose. I recently came across this quilt book and was intrigued. I think I'm going to get started on reading the books as well.
Amazing, what a very beautiful quilt you have made!
wow - beautiful quilt - thank you for sharing it!
Great story. Amazing quilt. I can just imagine all the work you've put in to this
Beautiful quilt, amazing story.
amazing how quickly you did that! And what a great story -- I keep meaning to read those books but haven't yet.
And thank you for the kind words on my blog.
I have not made that one but it sure is beautiful. I love all those small blocks - I am making my second Dear Jane and they have a lot of blocks like that too.
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/
Lovely, lovely!
A wonderful story and a stunning quilt - I just adore your SBS Micki, I think it is absolutely wonderful! A real acheivement
Cheers Erica
I love your version of this quilt, I'd like to do it some day. I would love to join the quilt festival, but stupid me, I can't figure out how to do a link back on my blog. Any help out there from you or your buddies in quilt world??
Wow, I've never seen anything like this. Absolutely spectacular! Thanks for sharing the beautiful story that goes along with it.
Post a Comment