Sunday, October 11, 2009

Magical Disney Sunday

I didn't have to think too long to decide which Disney character I would post about next...I came to the conclusion that it had to be Peter Pan. I took one of my Master's Degrees in Psychology, and I studied about the Peter Pan Syndrome. It is where a man is socially immature, who then has a deep-seated belief that he will never grow up. Of course the syndrome was named after the legendary character who lived in Neverland, called Peter Pan. I found the idea irresistable as a child, and I still love it as an adult. I remember Peter flying into the children's window while they were sleeping, and then bringing them to the magical land of Neverland. Who wouldn't be entranced by that idea? As a child, I often dreamed of Neverland....a place where children could do what they want and have a wonderful time being a child, and when life did get a bit rough as a child, it was lovely to escape everyday life with dreams of Neverland. Then of course there was Tinkerbell, a pixie who was always by Peter's side, who glowed brightest for him. She sang like a tinking bell, and a sprinkle of her fairy dust could make you fly. The thought of flying was so incredible, and I guess that later that's why I enjoyed flying in a plane so much. I am in love with childhood and with Neverland....I am not ashamed to say that! Of course, as an adult, I will never feel the way I did as a child when I thought of Neverland, as it is hard to recreate exactly what we felt as a child...to reclaim those magical feelings of forever being a child. Now, if you are a kid at heart, it doesn't mean you have the Peter Pan Syndrome, but if you can't be a kid at times, you are missing out on something so important....As Peter Pan said, "Fairies only exist if you believe in them, " and isn't it fun to just believe?
To remember how it feels to fly, look at this. Also, to see that scene where Peter comes through the window to take the kids to Neverland, enjoy this scene. Of course, nothing, but nothing can beat the original Disney Version of Peter Pan....Here are some of the scenes that I will never forget!
Living in Ireland, surrounded by all of its beauty, you do see its magic and wonders through the eyes of a child, and what a wonderful way to experience it. Thanks Peter Pan for allowing me to remain a child and giving me that curiosity, creativity, and imagination that will stay with me forever!
The magic continues....I am a runner up in
Heidi's giveaway, and I won a painting. You see what a bit of fairy dust does? Join me again next week for more Disney magic, and just believe!!

25 comments:

Searchfamilies said...

Congratulations on another win
Yes the idea if never growing up now that i am grown up does appeal none of the grown up problems lol
I enjoyed Peter Pan & still do
Hugs Janice

Anonymous said...

Hello Micki, sometimes I say I wish I was six years old again.......with your post Micki it recaputered part of my childhood...Hugs Lyn

Marie said...

Hi Micki, thanks for sharing some more magic with us!! We all need to have the youth in us revisited. Have a great day. Hugs, Marie

Simone de Klerk said...

I love Tinkerbell! Her moods and fairiness ...

Queen Of The Armchair aka Dzintra Stitcheries said...

Hi Micki...I always love it when I see the sign 'Believe' and it always seems to pop up in the most unexpected places...What a wonderful post this was...Dzintra♥x

Anonymous said...

YAY! I love Disney Sunday!

There is also a new Tinkerbell movie made not too long ago.

To live well belief is a necessity.

Dawn's Daily Journal said...

Congrats on your win!!
When I turned 40 people asked me if I was bothered by getting older. Nope. Not at all. I love each and every year but still try and keep some bit of the child inside of me. Keeps you young. :)
hugs my friend!!
dawn

Granny Lyn said...

Just a few weeks ago, my 7 year old granddaughter left the world a note that said "I bleavan fairys" she makes me "bleavan" them, too!

you are so lyrical in your musing, you pull all of us readers in, Thank you for that, and for making us old ladies feel like little kids again flying in the magic of Disney!

SewCalGal said...

While there are some benefits of growing up, I strongly believe there are benefits of keeping portions of us that never grow up. It is fun to see life from the eyes of a child. May we never loose that enthusiasm!

And, may you always live an enchanted life!

SewCalGal
www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

Abatevintage said...

Hey there Micki what a great post today. I have heard of the Peter Pan syndrome. Sometimes I wish I had that and when I looked in the mirror my body would believe it too lol. Then I would'nt have all the wrinkles :0) I love your post today. I was so excited when my husband drew your name. My daughter was going to but she was at a sleep over and wasn't able. I will get these painting out first thing Monday because I have no idea how long it will take to get to Ireland. I have never mailed there, but excited too. I hope to one day visit and see my heritage. My ancestors are from Ireland. I hope you have a great Sunday and I am so happy that you joined me, we are few but great.

Blessings,
Heidi

Unknown said...

I love disney movies too...probably my fave is the little mermaid and Alice in wonderland...They always make me cry though...such good memories the older ones bring back...By the way Miss Micki, I finished adding my list of people to give the kreative blogger award too and your name is on there...Cant wait to read about you!

Tara said...

Great pick Micki! I actually enjoy this movie more as an adult than I did as a child. Don't we ALL wish we could fly and that Tinkerbell is fabulous! Still in style after all these years. Magical post! Have a magical day!

Maggi said...

I always hated the idea that a fairy died every time someone denied their existence, and still do. Long may they fly.

Congratulations on your win.

Auntie sezzzzzz... said...

"Living in Ireland, surrounded by all of its beauty, you do see its magic and wonders through the eyes of a child..."

Something I've wanted to ask you... Do you hear stories of "the Old Ways," living in Ireland? Of the Fae and etc.? Or could Joe tell you some, which he may remember from his childhood?

Having been reading so much about the Fae... Well, present day authors ideas about the Fey of course. Not straight from the Old Country, as they say. But you are there! You could!

I'm wearing a necklace with some iron, these days. Can Joe tell you why I'm doing that? :-))))

Aunt Amelia
[Who is still happily "lost" in fanciful reading]

Anonymous said...

How lovely Micki!

Personally, I'm an Ariel fan. I can't wait to post your pressies as well - I'm almost ready!

Me x

Anonymous said...

How lovely Micki!

Personally, I'm an Ariel fan. I can't wait to post your pressies as well - I'm almost ready!

Me x

Nancy M. said...

Congratulations on winning a painting! They are so pretty!

I love Peter Pan, it's one of my favorite rides in the Magic Kingdom. I never want to grow up, either! But, I guess, I kinda did.

CindyMae said...

Congrats on winning!!! I just love Peter Pan!!! Another awesome Disney post, can't wait until next week!!

Beansieleigh said...

Hi Micki! I am most definitely a "kid at heart", and LOVE your post today! Sorry this comes so late as it does. I was VERY busy yesterday, packing and sorting and wrapping and more packing for the big move ahead of us. It's a little stressful, when I don't know WHERE we are moving it all to yet! Anyways, by the end of the day, I was exhausted and went to bed early!.. So-ooo, here I am with my morning cup of coffee, ready to start my day with a postive attitude! (0; Happy Magical Disney Sunday, and hope you had a wonderful weekend! ~tina

Magia da Inês said...

Olá!
Seu cantinho é tudo de bom...
Lindo, criativo, alegre e interessante...
Parabéns pelo seu trabalho!
Espero você em:
magiadaines.blogspot.com
Uma ótima semana!
Beijinhos carinhosos.
Itabira - Brasil

Auntie sezzzzzz... said...

OT, and I don't do this often but.. Would you please go to this entry in my blog, and scroll to the bottom of it.

A blogger is suffering through a long bout of her husband being hospitalized and... Another sweet blogger told me of her sadness. We both are asking people to go [her link is there] leave her a comment of good wishes.

Please.

Please.

Please.

And a big Thank You!

Gentle hugs,
Aunt Amelia

Rafael's Mum said...

Hi Micki! i finally got to catch up on my reading a bit... I LOVE peter pan! and tinkerbell! I remember having a book where you had to collect small pictures to stick in. I think they came with coffee if I remember correctly... I also had a Bambi book in the same series... Wonderful memories!

Stephanie Hughes said...

WOW! Micki, you must have fairy dust! I guess once I am a full time blogger maybe I will have time to enter all these contests and swaps. I am going to do my first swap this year. That's about all I can manage working full time, having a familly and trying to do some of my own quilting. You are very fortunate for sure! Hugs, Stephanie

Susan In Texas said...

I live such a stolid, engineer's life, I think all of my Peter Pan impulses are wrapped up in thinking that I can get everything accomplished that I want to do, when in reality I would have to live to be 380 to come close - take my stash, for instance. It's certainly indicative that I plan to live FOREVER. lol 8-)

Take care,
Susan in Texas

http://susanintexas.blogspot.com

Pursuing Art... said...

What a fun post, Micki! I loved Peter Pan and most all the Disney movies, still do. I think it would be hard for me to pick one that I didn't like. It would be very sad to lose the child that still lies in our heart! I think Disney shaped most of us in some way...at least it did for me. This post and Beauty and the Beast, brought a smile and fond memories!

Your pillowcase is beautiful and it is so thoughtful of you to help!The Streets of Ireland quilt is fantastic (looking forward to seeing the quilting), the Siggy is lovely and such beautiful gifts that you received from friends too!

Take care...~Lisa