I ordered from four different places, and lo and behold, all four packages came at the same time yesterday. I never had that happen. One of them was from Paper Pieces, and it was the 1200 hexagons that I ordered and the Grandmother's Flower Garden book by Kate Hardy. I immediately went to work on using the jelly rolls that I ordered to cut out the fabric that I needed for the hexagons. I used a beautiful floral print fabric and a plain off white fabric. I used flower pins to pin the hexagon pieces to the fabric and cut them out leaving a quarter inch seam allowance. Each flower, I decided, would have the same off white hexagon centre, a different second and third round, but when I am connecting them, all of them will have that connecting round in pink.
After al the hexagons were hand basted, I began hand sewing the rounds and combined three rows of hexagons into a large flower. It took me hours, but I did most of it while I was watching tv. I really enjoyed the whole process, and as you can see, it turned out nicely. I haven't decided yet if I will make a wall hanging or quilt out of the flowers. I am still looking at the book to get some ideas. We shall see.
8 comments:
Oh very pretty.I have the flower garden made by my great grandmother that has never been quilted, I have often thought that I would hand quilt it but I need a lot more practice of rocking the needle before I start that. Have a great day. Chat soon. Hugs, Marie
Making hexagon quilts are addicting I've heard :^) Have fun with it!
I can't wait to hear which one you like the best.
Enjoy
Oh Micki it's lovely. I love the colors.
I too love your choice of colors..It will be beautiful..Lots of patience tho' and not sure if I am cut out for that project..
Hugs,
Maggey
Wow 1200 hexagons! It does look so pretty and they make up quickly.
Happy Stitching...Ann :)
You were very busy. I did a hexagon quilt myself and know that it is a lot of work. Your flower looks great, I´m sure it will make a beautiful quilt.
This looks very pretty, Micki! How many more to go?
Post a Comment