It is New Year's Eve, and I will be posting this today, as tomorrow, we will be busy.
Barb from Bejewelled Quilts by Barb is my January Star. She lives in the America Samoa, and for three years, she will be living in what I consider a beautiful place. She is a gifted quilter, and she is always willing to share her ideas and techniques. I am proud to have her as my January Star, and if you haven't met her so far, you will be in for a treat. Here is her interview and enjoy it as much as I did.
Interview for January
A Bit About Me: I am a mother of five sons. My husband and I have travelled a lot and are now residing in America Samoa.When my last son turned 12, I had to redefine myself, as he no longer needed me. That is when I became real serious about quilting.My first interest in quilting was when I was given a quilt that my grandmother had made for me (top only). I started to practice my quilting, so I would be able to quilt her quilt in a decent fashion. First, I had to restore some of the frazzled pieces, and then I started making my sons each a quilt( only two pieces of material with batting imbetween and started hand quilting them.) I have not looked back since. I love to do crafts as well, bake, and at one time was teaching myself how to play the piano. This is the first time that I have not worked in 14 years. I am enjoying being a kept woman.You would think that my house would be clean, but it is clean enough, but not like I used to keep it. Go figure.
What Inspires Me: As I shared with you above, my grandmother was my inspiration with the quilt she left me. I remember playing with that quilt as a young girl( Now you know why it was frazzled). My mother and three sisters quilt as well and a few of their daughters. It has gotten to the point that anything I see, I see a quilt. My husband will often ask me when we are travelling, if I am designing a quilt in my head, he can tell by the way I look at pictures, tiles, tiles on the floor, carpet. Once I even ran to him, grabbed a piece of paper and pencil and went back to the bathroom to copy the tiles in the bathroom( pretty bad, huh?). I have loads of pictures from hotel carpets, airport designs, airport tile, and I have bits and pieces of paper with scribbles on them.
Then there are my blogging friends ,who with such wonderful work they put out...so amazing to me. Their kindness and generosity as well.
What I Love to Do the Most Creatively: I love applique. I would love to do needleturn better, but for now, I mostly use my machine and do blanket stitch.
My Favorite Fabric and Designer: I love Thimbleberries...totally love their fabric and designs.
UFO I Intend to Finish First: I have a flying geese quilt that I made for my third son that has been in the making for 5 years...need to quilt it. Then there is a quilt that I inherited from my best friend's mom who died of cancer. She loved my sons, so this one will go to my oldest son. In fact this friend who died....she is the one who has truly inspired me to start quilting and maybe one day, I will be as selfless as she was.
What's on the Design Wall Now: Nothing right now, I am travelling.
Who Would I Love to Meet: I would love to meet all of my blogging friends, go to their homes, see their stash, projects and finishes.
If I Had One Wish: I would wish that everyone had a passion that would make them want to get out of bed every morning and see the beauty the world has to offer.
Plans for the Future: Grandchildren...(Ha!) To do better and be better as a person, a mother, and wife.
What a wonderful interview Barb! Here are some of Barb's works of art. Enjoy the eye candy!


Thanks so much Barb, and wishing everyone a blessed and Happy New Year!

22 comments:
What a lovely interview. So nice to meet a wonderful person again on blogland.
Have a lovely New Year's Eve and the very best wishes to you and Joe!!!
De beste en warmste wensen voor 2010!
Micki Barb has touched many lives in and outside of the quilting world. You have selected a true angel to spotlight. Thank you and Happy New Year to you and your loved ones.
Micki, thanks so much for Barb's interview. Barb is such a selfless, kind, giving quilter. I have truly enjoyed meeting her through blogging.
Wishing you and your Joe a very happy and blessed New Year!
Have heard it said many times that quilters are very nice people, and Barb is an example of the truth in that saying. Thanks for the feature!
what a great interview, i love me some Barb
Micki, thank you for choosing Barb as the January STAR! I say this because Barb is a star. She shines her light for everyone. I am happy that she has been my blog friend for some time now.
Just last night she inspired me to learn something new. Ha ha. i was a winner in her giveaway and the prize was a quilt kit. I didn't know until I was well into it that I had to learn a new (to me) technique. I learned it and have a new skill.
Happy New year to You and yours.
I love these interviews that you post. Barb looks like a wonderful lady!
Micki, you couldn't have picked a nicer person. I have been blogging since last Jan & "Met" Barb through a mutual Blogger. I feel as if I have known her for years. She is indeed a doing, loving and caring person. Maybe one day we can have a retreat or meeting place so we can all get together and meet each other. Wouldn't that be awesome?
Happy New Year Sweetie...
It has been a wonderful year in 2009 and I can't wait to see what 2010 brings to each of us.
Micki thanks so much for sharing Barbara today. Isn't she just a jewel? So interesting and her talents are beyond what I can even comprehend. What a wonderful artist. What a beautiful spotlight you have done of her.
Here's wishing you happiness, love, prosperity, peace and good health.
Country hugs sweetie...Sherry
A great interview, I particularly loved Barb's one wish
Barb is such a great choice for your January Star.
She was also instumental in providing needs for those without when they had their recent disaster in her area.
What amazes me is all that she does with so little available in her area for her passion. To read of her husband bringing her supplies from his trips makes one appreciate all the shops that we have available to us.
Great Star to start the year out. She is one talented Lady.
Willow
Happy New Years Micki....I hope your year is filled with lots of love, fun, laughter and excitement.
thanks for the spotlight, it kinda embarasses me but it is not as if it was a surprise....
What a wonderful quilter.. She makes lovely ones. Cheers to you and Happy New Year.
Maggey
I'm so glad you chose to spotlight Barb. I love her......even though we have never met in person, we have "clicked" online through our blogs and I can't imagine her not being a part of my life now. She is one of the most caring, giving people I know.....and I wish nothing but the best for her and her family. As for the work she chose to have you show here, she has so many other pieces that are truly wonderful....I think you should show more of her stuff throughout ALL of January!!!
Wonderful interview. Thank you Micki & Barb for sharing.
It is fun to build friendships, learn, and be inspired with those throughout the world, all through our common interests and blogging. While I do get upset with my computer, from time to time, isn't technology amazing?
Have a very Happy & Healthy New Year!
SewCalGal
www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com
Nice to get to know Barb better through your interview. Heres wishing you both a very Happy New Year.
What a lovely person to interview! I love meeting and learning about new folks in Blogland, especially quilters! Thanks for sharing and Happy New Year to you and Joe!
Dear Micki -
It has been pure magic to be allowed to meet you and all of my blogging friends. I still appreciate your kindness of introducing me to the world of Blogging. I know you stay So busy - I don't know how you are able to keep up with time for all that you do. I used to think that the older I would get - things would slow down - I was wrong - the older I get - the faster time leaves me.
I loved the comment that your guest had about her wish -that everyone could have something passionate that made them want to get out of bed every morning.
Happy New Year to all
Thanks Micki for posting about my giveaway. Lovely interview with Barb. I am so glad you've chosen her. I've seen her leaving comments on many blogs that I visited, but I have never stop and check her blog out, but now that you introduced her to us. I will go and visit her and get to know her better. She sounds like me with bit of papers on her travels - good on you Micki! Hugs Nat
she also is a lovely person and friend!!!!!
Tks for quickly returning my comment. I´ll be looking forward to, more than looking at your work, being able to touch and feel it and beeing able to meet you!
I´ll be postiing about Brazil in a short while - our fake white Xmas included!
Post a Comment