Tuesday, June 30, 2009

July Star


I am off to the dentist early on a bus tomorrow, so I am posting this today.
It is my pleasure to introduce to you Lurline , my July Star, who has a wonderful blog called Lurline's Place.She is such a talented lady, but more importantly, she is a sweetheart. I am thrilled that we have met through our blogs, and she is a good example of the wonderful people one can meet through blogland. Please enjoy her interview and also the pics of her astonishing works. She will truly inspire you!




Interview for July: Lurline Geoghegan


  • A Bit about Me:
    I live in Perth, Australia with my husband, my 91 year old mother, who I care for and and adult son who does fly-in/fly-out work in the mining and construction industry. Mining provides the livelihood for the majority in this huge sandy state that is so rich in minerals. I was born in Charters Towers, a mining town in Queensland and educated in Brisbane, Queensland. I have spent 30 years of my life in remote mining towns in Australia. I loved all those years, but am a city girl at heart - just love life with all it's conveniences and vitality.

    I have four children, all of whom are now adults - two of those are twins, a girl and boy and two of my daughters have girl/boy twins. My youngest grandchildren are 5 and the first I have seen grow up from babyhood, so this has been such a gift and a joy. We have two Maltese puppies, Georgina and Alice who are now getting quite old.

    Over the years I have travelled extensively overseas and am so happy I did it in the days when I had so much energy to walk and walk and soak up the culture of other countries.
  • What Inspires Me:
    Oh, now, that is a loaded question! Beautiful fabrics, I guess! I get a lot of inspiration from books, magazines and blogging, of course - possibly most importantly from friends. I belong to several quilting groups locally and in both Queensland and Western Australia have been very active in the state guilds. There is so much inspiration there, particularly in the quilt exhibitions. I was lucky to the International Quilt show in Houston, USA in 2007.

    In the past, I eagerly entered quilt shows and had a lot of success. I have also had my work published several times - that was then. Now I quilt for the love of it.
  • What I Love to Do the Most Creatively :
    Again, a loaded question! At the moment patchwork and quilting. Though over the years I have dabbled in crochet, knitting, hardanger, embroidery, porcelain doll-making and aculpted doll-making. I think patchwork and quilting will always be my favourite as it has been for the past 13 years..
  • My Favorite Fabric and Designer:
    Lots and lots of favourite fabrics and I move with the times. Since I started patchwork and quilting I have worked extensively with reproduction fabrics and always go back to them. The bright, pretty ones are the ones I love so much and though many people think, Civil War, drab! - that is not the case, there are so many wonderful reproductions these days.

    I really enjoy modern fabrics and can see how they come and go on the market - always something new. I love all the little Japanese novelty prints of the moment. Kaffe Fassett will always be a favourite, though too much can be overwhelming - one needs great colour skills to keep his fabics under control.
  • UFO I Intend to Finish First:
    Oh, now - I really don't have any great intentions at this time. I have several beautiful UFO's that deserve to be finished - one an antique 4-block with lots of applique and lots of fine handquilting yet to be done.
  • What's on the Design Wall Now:
    I have been playing with smaller projects lately - making bags, runners and sof toys. I also have a redwork project on the go and find the embroidery with just a skein of variegated red/pink thread so relaxing and tidy to do at night. Right at this very minute, it is 'pincushion passion' I am suffering, using a wonderful pattern of Heather Bailey's making pincushions out of fruits. I have fabrics prepared for a shaggy baby quilt.
  • Who Would I Love to Meet:
    I admire so many greats in the quilting world and would be happy to sit in on talks by any one of them.
  • If I Had One Wish:
    Related to patchwork and quilting - a perfectly decked out studio with fabrics that jump out at me then jump back into their proper place.
  • Plans for the Future:
    Lots and lots ! In quilting - to keep on enjoying the way I am going now, with no pressures or time restraints on projects I am doing. At the moment, I am having so much fun blogging and meeting new people, making new friendships and this has been one of the best adventures of my life, so let's hope it continues!

I was lucky in that Lurline sent me several pics of her beautiful works or art. Wow, is all I can say! Get ready for a lot of inspiration :

First of all, Lurline did this American Beauty Quilt, and it is quite a beauty!











Then there is Angela's Quilt:











I love applique and this is drop dead gorgeous!









Don't you just love the blocks and the colours in the KC Quilt?









You know how much I love stuffed dolls and animals. Look at all of these.... Super cute!











Finally, I loved the Red and White Quilt! I will have to make one like that one day.












Thank you Lurline for a wonderful interview and for allowing me to get to know you. You truly are a sweetheart!

9 comments:

West Michigan Quilter said...

What a lovely post. So nice to read about Lurline. What a beautiful lady who does such beautiful work. I can certainly relate to her wanting a sewing room where the fabrics jump back in place! LOL.

Heckety said...

Congratulations on your wins! Brill! The quilts are something elso aren't they? Its so inspiring looking at people's work, thank you. Aggie's face is definately exactly right for her! Has she begun talking to you yet?
Read a magazine article few years ago by someone trying to garden in rural Donegal and he said he used to think sheep were just silly but after so many years in Donegal he'd decided they had a vendetta on him as they constantly broke into his garden and chomped their hearts out!

SewCalGal said...

Micki,

I enjoyed your article on Lurline. Very talented lady (and so are you).

SewCalGal
www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

Maggey and Jim said...

Oh, Micki,,
I love Lurline's blog.. I have been reading and enjoying for some time now. She is a beautiful artist.. You have picked an outstanding one this time..
Hugs,
Maggey

Nat Palaskas said...

I have been looking out for your July Star and I am so thrilled that it is Lurline. She is a star in her own right. A quilting star!!! She is such a kind lady and was one of the first blog support of mine. Will go and congrates her in person - Good choice Micki

Anonymous said...

Great interview! I enjoyed every bit of it... those quilts are phenomenal!

Searchfamilies said...

A Great post & what beautiful work she does if i can do half as well i be happy
Hugs Janice

Simone de Klerk said...

What a lovely new Star! I really enjoyed reading about her an to see the inspiring projects she made. Thank you for sharing this with us, Micki!

Kath said...

How lovely to "meet you" Lurline. I have often visited your Blog and now I have the chance to get to know you! best wishes Kath www.railwaycottage.blogspot.com