Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Free Patterns, a Great Book, and Some Interesting Information

I watched The Quilt Show this morning, and I loved the show with Susan Schrempf called Machine Ribbon Embroidery. Here is the link, but you have to be a member to see the show: http://www.thequiltshow.com/os/shows.php . By the way, joining the show, is something to consider, as Alex Anderson and Ricky Tims are wonderful and their guests are out of this world. Anyways, I am getting Susan's book, as I am excited about trying the machine ribbon embroidery techniques. It is called Simple Silk Ribbon Embroidery and you can get it discounted at 20 percent off at Soft Expressions, which you can link to here: http://www.softexpressions.com/software/books/EmbrConcepts.php. It was incredible how she demonstrated making the roses, petals, etc with the silk ribbons. She lowered her feed dogs, took off the foot, lowered the upper tension to .75 , used Superior Thread on the top, and Bottomline thread in the bobbin, and the results were incredible. I found a wonderful shop where they sell silk ribbon packs at Silk Shop Deland, which you can see at http://www.quiltshopofdeland.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=quiltshopofdeland&Category_Code=SilkRibbon Also Susan Schrempf has a site where you can buy the book and supplies at http://www.victorianventure.com/. Doesn't it look like great fun?

Alex Anderson also demonstrated how she made pillow cases with her latest basket pattern called Baskets of Romance, and it can be downloaded free on this site http://www.pbtex.com/html/free_patterns.html which gives you tons of wonderful free patterns. Don't we all love free patterns?

Thought you would like all the information!

I am making a doily today, as I have to wait till the quilt shop opens up tomorrow, so I can get the batting for my Sunbonnet Sue wallhanging. Then I can machine quilt it.
Have a great day sewing and just have fun!

8 comments:

Nedra said...

I love the show too. They partner up for quite a few things with Superior Threads. Thanks for all the great leads.

Anonymous said...

Hi Micki
Thanks for sharing good reference.
I like very much your yesterday's post about the Sue Sunbonnet Wallhanging. Very nice.

Marie said...

Hi Girlfriend, I used to do silk ribbon work but it was done by hand and really pretty but now that would be intresting to try it on the machine. You will have to show pictures to us.Hugs to you and Joe. Marie

Quilter Going Bananas said...

Thanks for posting the links, will check them out. I love your Sunbonnet
Sue wallhanging, it's adorable! Lucky duck you for winning Robyn's giveaway, a very nice package you'll get in the mail.

You know that once you finish the last UFO that the situation is only temporary, there will always be UFOs!

Queen Of The Armchair aka Dzintra Stitcheries said...

Now I'm just wondering what colour your doily will be...can't wait to see Sunbonnet Sue finished...Dzintra♥x

Nat Palaskas said...

It sounds interesting Micki, I can't have a look right now, but I will be sure to have a peek from home. Thanks for sharing the great ideas

Laurie said...

I misread your first line of this post and thought, "What a strange name for a show: the Guilt Show"!

A Creative Life said...

Thanks for posting these links, I will definitely check them out, and also thanks for visiting my blog.