Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Going Bonkers





I know that I am working on the kimono quilt, but I couldn't resist this pattern. I found it in Patchwork and Quilting Magazine, and the pattern involves a pieced quilt featuring machine embroidery. They are suggesting birds and a birdhouse, but I will be utilizing a nautical theme, therefore, I decided that ships and a lighhouse design would be perfect for the machine embroidered designs that will be in each block. The center block will be a beautiful lighthouse design and the surrounding blocks will be the ship designs, as if the lighhouse was a beacon for the orbiting ships. I am varying the fabric a lot from the original pattern , and will be using some sea fabric that I have , as you can see pictured above. Some of the blocks including the center block are six and a half inches, but the squares on point are four and a half inches. I will be using lovely hand dyed batiks for the triangles surrounding the blocks and borders, and gorgeous sea fabric for the huge triangles surrounding the entire center unit. Yesterday, I chose the threads that I will use, and I did the necessary work using Embird software. I had to for instance rotate the, as the design was on its side, and changed some of the colours and the desity of the stitches in the design. I will stitch out the lighhouse this week and will post a pic. It is just a really beautiful pattern. I will include pics of each block that I machine embroider. I am using Michael Miller's Natural Fairy Frost for the blocks' background, so the designs pop, and will post all the hand dyed fabrics when they arrive, as I just ordered them....yes I was going bonkers again, and I was ordering, ordering fabric. I found a wonderful sale for the batik and hand dyed FQ bundles at Hancock's at Paducah at
http://www.hancocks-paducah.com/ This is going to be a fun project.

2 comments:

Karen H said...

Hi Micki,
I've been really enjoying your blog. Thank you for sharing with us.
Your plans for the Birds ( the Sea) quilt sound really wonderful and I look forward to seeing its progress. In my mind it is very beautiful.
Have a great day!!
Karen from the SBS friendship group

Jeri said...

I love the waves! Wow, Mickilene, you never needed any tips from me! You are so creative. I can't wait to see the finished product. Jeri