Thursday, August 14, 2008

The Micki Postcard and Why I Took the Name Micki




Today, I was thinking of what postcard ot make for my Frienship Postcard Swap, and I came up with a fabric postcard with Mickey Mouse on it. He was pointing his finger up in the air just like I always did when I was a little girl...perfect for me. My first name is Anna...I was named after my two grandmothers. My parents called me Annie. You know how it is.....you never like the name that was given to you...It's like wanting curly hair when you have straight hair. Anyway, I became a Mouseketeer. I had the ears and all, and watched Mickey Mouse on tv every day. I loved Mickey. At the age of 16, I told my parents that I would be using Micki instead of Anna. They just looked at me, and said that they would always call me Annie. That was fine, but I was using Micki. I told everyone that my nickname was Micki, and from that day on used it. When I went to Del Valle High School in Austin, TX for an job interview, Susie Bragg, who was Principal at that time was interviewing teachers for the position of English teacher and for Department Chair. I got the job. She asked me my first name, and I said, "Micki." She said that as Department Chair, she didn't think it suitable for me to use that nickname, and she preferred that I use "Anne." At the time, I did not know her name was Susie...Hello? I don't know what I would have said if I had known that , but I went along with it, so everyone there knew me as Anne Butler. Then when she left and Ray Macias took over as Principal, I told everyone my nickname was 'Micki" and that was that. Everyone here in Ireland knows me as Micki, except a woman who works in the local food market, as her name is Annie, so I told her that my name was also Annie, so I am Annie to her. Today, I made the Mickey Mouse fabric postcard, as I thought it truly represented me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey Micki, we like all the same films and now Isee we both like Simon and Garfunkle. Of course my favourite song of theirs is "Kathys song". "Let us be lovers, we'll marry our fortunes together" is what my husband saud when he proposed! How cute is that! love Kath

Jeri said...

I have got to share this with Jolinda. She will love it. You and Jolinda would be able to talk for hours on end. She is very creative like you. I don't know how you do it! I wish my mind could work like that. I always have a song in my head, not such creative ideas! It's not only fun seeing what you create, it's how well executed each project is. Your attention to detail is remarkable. Jeri