Well, I said that good luck comes in threes...First we won the laptop, and then today something else wonderful happened. Joe was walking Charlie, one of our dogs, and someone who lives in Dunfanaghy had a pic of us that was taken in the Irish News newspaper, which is printed in N. Ireland. He had walked to our house to give us a copy of the page.Wasn't that nice of him? The photo of the two of us was on page 24 of the newspaper that came out yesterday on August 21, 2008. Joe ran into the house and came to where I was, which again was in the computer room, and showed me the photo of us in the newspaper. As you can see, it was a candid shot taken by the photographer Brendan Murphy, and he called it " In Step in Dunfanaghy"....We were walking exactly in step with each other, right on the main street of the town. My goodness were we both shocked! The funny thing is that we are known all around the town for walking everywhere we go...That is unheard of here, as everyone goes in their cars, even if they live a block from the town. We are always stopped on the street and the comment always is, "You two always walk a lot, don't you?." Well, we decided not to get a car when we came back to Ireland, so we are really used to walking a great deal. When we need to go to another town, we take the bus, but generally around town, we walk. We have become celebrities at last...Our pic was plastered in the Irish News, and how exciting is that! We are ordering a glossed picture of the photo from Irish News, so I can frame it. I have to add this line, as Jeri reminded me of one of my favorite movies "The Quiet Man" where Maureen OHara said to John Wayne that 5 miles was "just a good stretch of the legs." Then in that Southern drawl, Jeri said, "Y'all take that little stretch of the legs everywhere." Well, that is so true. Joe and I love our walks through the hills of Donegal, as we can share the lovely scenery and just be together....doing what we always do...holding hands.Well, we are now waiting for the third lucky thing to occur, and Joe said, "I hope that we win the lottery."
5 comments:
Hi Micki
That is a great story and well done for walking everywhere, i used to walk loads before i got married, Love to take up walking again
WOW! That is such a nice picture. It must have been a great surprise, when you didn't even know it was going to be published. You two truly look like a match made in heaven, and one of the happiest couples I "know".
Wilma
Well, well, well! What a neat story! I love that y'all walk together everywhere. In "the Quiet Man" Maureen O'Hara told John Wayne that five miles was "just a good stretch of the legs". You know that's my favorite movie. And y'all take that "little stretch of the legs" everywhere! Congrats! Jerilynn
Hi Micki,
What a great picture of you and Joe- now I can say I know a famous person VBG.
Congratulations to Joe for winning the laptop- what a nice prize for you both.
I will wait to hear that you won the lottery ..
I am still here- just a bit tired today. Bruce and I went and spray basted 6 pieces for quilting - 2 wall hangings, 3 couch quilts and one double quilt. It was a productive afternoon and so I have earned some time on the computer.
Regards,
Anna
Enjoy being celebrities and think of the benefits you're getting from all that exercise! Wonderful story.
cheers, from Canada, QGB
Post a Comment