Monday, August 25, 2008

A Baby Quilt for Lochlann


Joe has been friends with Dara for over 30 years, and I got to know Dara and his lovely wife Mary when I first married Joe 12 years ago. Their daughter Niamh has recently given birth to a baby boy named Lochlann on July 23, 2008. This is Niamh's and Simon's first baby, so it is very exciting. I decided to make a baby quilt for them. I used five different fabrics and chose colours of different hues of blues and white. I finally finished the quilt today. Joe tried to capture the colours, but it was hard. We tried to take the photo with the quilt hanging on the curtain rod against the window, and then hanging on a bamboo stick over the door. Well, the pic that I have included was the best that we could do, but it is much more vibrant. You can't see it, but I have machine quilted designs in the borders, and stitched in the ditch around all of the squares, so there is a checkerboard pattern on the back in addition to the fancy design in the borders. I will have to use my Janome 350E and Font Engine from my Embird software to make a label, and that should be fun. Then it goes off to Dublin.

3 comments:

quiltmom anna said...

HI Micki,
The baby quilt is so sweet- I love the checkerboard design with the blocks.
I bet Niamh and Lochlann will love it and it will become a treasured quilt.

Regards,
Anna

Karen H said...

Hi Micki,
The quilt is so lovely and I know his parents will love it and Lochlann will treasure it when he is a bit older. I made a quilt for my grandson,Liam, when he was a baby. He is 9 years old now and the quilt still travels in the back seat of their car.
I like your choice of fabrics,too.
Karen

Anonymous said...

The quilt is a great gift for Lochlann