I will never forget the day that I met Gerry Adams, who is the President of Sinn Fein. Joe and I heard that he was to do a book reading at the Grianan Theatre, and we booked tickets for the event. It was to take place on a Saturday, so we went to Lettekenny early and had lunch at our favorite spot, The Voodoo Bar...Both of us had stuffed turkey and ham with mashed potatoes and veggies....yummy! We walked
to the theatre, and sat down in the lobby area, waited to be admitted to the theatre. I was looking out of the window, and Gerry Adams just walked in right off of the street, dressed very casually in jeans and a white shirt. He sat down right next to me with the director of the theatre. I couldn't believe it. If you don't know who Gerry Adams is, here is a good link that tells about him: www.sinnfein.org/documents/gerry.html To say that Gerry is controversial is an understatement. LOL Well, continuing with the story, we were called into the theatre, and right on the stage in front of the podium where Gerry would read from his books were chairs assembled. We were going to be on the stage with Gerry Adams. He read from several of his books, and he was witty, friendly, and very interesting. He read poems that he had written in Gaelic, and then translated them for us, and it was a very enjoyable experience.He told us about growing up and living in Belfast, and he made the history of that city very vivid to us. We asked him questions, and everyone felt very at ease with him, as he had a wonderful warm manner about him, and a very welcoming, beautiful smile. I told him about the time that I met Clinton and how much Ireland meant to him, and he agreed that he had been very instrumental in the peace process. At the end, I went up to him and shook his hand and Joe took some great pics. It was a day that I will never forget.
No comments:
Post a Comment