As part of the Dunfanaghy Festival, we also had Sheep Dog Trials. That was the first time that I had seen it in person, and it was very exciting. We walked about two miles to get to McGinley's Field, and it was an all day's event. We arrived in the afternoon, and the sun was blazing. The dogs, which were all border collies, were brilliant. Their masters shouted some commands or whistled , and the dogs knew exactly what to do. They had to bring several sheep down from a distant field and bring them through four gates and finally at the end of it all, had to lead the sheep into a huge pen, as the master opened the gate. Well, we were there for two hours, and although many of the dogs were able to direct the sheep through the gates, not one dog was able to lead the sheep into the pen, although at one point, I thought someone would do it, but he ran out of time. One dog refused to do anything, and the locals, including Joe and me, laughed out loud. The man took it in good stride, as it was funny. That was my first Sheep Dog Trials, and I loved it. Joe was busy taking tons of pictures, as he usually does, and I will surely be back to see it next year.
No comments:
Post a Comment