Sunday, August 10, 2008

Babylock Embellisher




I think that the most creative machine that I ever purchased was the Babylock Embellisher with 7 needles. It uses no thread, but it basically punches fabric and helps you to create new textures and fabrics.Babylock has now come out with a 12 needle machine, but I don't think that it is worth the price difference.Anway, I find it very exciting to use different fabrics and materials and get such exciting results. You can discover and create new textures, which when combined with free motion sewing, can result in stunning effects. What kind of materials can you use for the punching? Well, the sky is the limit. You can use lightweight silk, lame, silk dupioni merino, organza,wool roving, hairy eyelash angelina fibers,ribbons, etc, etc. At first, you have to get used to using the machine. Basically, you move the fabric slowly, while you have the machine going at a medium or fast speed. If you move the fabric too quickly, a needle will break, and you don't want that.
The books that I found to be very helpful were the following:

1. Embellish and Stitch by Maggie Grey


2. The Embellisher: Let's Get Started by MyFanwy Hart.


3. Pillows + DVD by Christopher Nejman( Check out Christopher's website at

http://www.bagsandpillows.com/ ....it is awesome! He also has a video you can watch where he demonstrates how to use the embellisher at http://www.sewontv.com/ Browse the shows available and you will see it. Once you see that, you will be inspired for sure! Oh the shows on Sew On TV are available anytime and are on quilting, fibre arts, home decor, etc. If you never went to this site, you will love it.
4. Surface Tension by Dale Rollerson ( She is giving an on-line workshop on the embellisher in January. I missed the one that she gave starting in June. and the course is 6 weeks.)

5. Felt to Stitch by Sheila Smith

Also, a great site for information on the embellisher is http://www.tryourdesigns.com/
and also http://www.fiberella.com/ Go to the Visitor's and Featured Artist Gallery to see incredible work that the artists and viewers of the website. The landscapes are wonderful, and you will not believe what you can create with the embellisher.

Also, a fiber artist from Germany has created a wonderful workshop that you can purchase on PDF, and that can be found on http://beates-fabric-art.blogspot.com/

I have been bitten by the bug for sure. I am still learning and have so many techniques to still try, but that is all part of the fun. On Fiberella, there are many techniques illustrated.

The goal is to have fun! Once you get used to the embellisher you buy, you will be hooked for sure.

1 comment:

Jeri said...

Mickilene,

Hey, congratulations! You didn't waste any time! I saw the posh linings on sale at JoAnn's the other night. They are excellant for backgrounds, just cut into pieces that are easy for the needles to punch. Let the machine needles give it texture. CN recommended that fabric, too. You are having so much fun, I can tell.

I am so proud for you! Get busy now!

Jerilynn