I have 5 quilting books that I absolutely love. The first one is The Quilter's Catalog. I loved it the first moment that I saw it. It is 600 pages. There is a wealth of information in the book on every topic that you could imagine on quilting. The author's information on quilting websites was of particular interest to me. Amazon sells it for only $12.89, which is a great deal for a 600 page book.
The second book that I adore is It's Ok If You Sit on My Quilt Book by Ellen Hopkins. It shows you how to make simple quilt blocks based on squares and right triangles.The techniques are great, and I can make what appears to be very complicated blocks into what I know to be rather easy blocks.
The third book I recommend is Quilts From the Quiltmaker's Gift by Joanne Larson Line . It is based on the children's story "The Quiltmaker's Gift", and it is a beautiful illustrated book that gives you the fabric requirements and directions for 20 lap sized, double, and queen sized quilts. It is a wonderful book.
The fourth book is for people who tend to be visual people and need to see illustrations for the techniques. It is The Quilter's Ultimate Visual Guide: From A-Z by Ellen Pahl. It does exactly what the title implys: It teaches you techniques brilliantly through wonderful illustrations and directions. I have grabbed it over and over again.
Last but not least is 101 Fabulous Rotary- Cut Quilts by Judy Hopkins. There are 101 quilt patterns in this book...amazing! There is one pattern where you would need 1062 fabrics to complete...Don't get scared! It is a charm quilt. There are truly so many quilts that you will want to make in this book.
Well, those are my suggestions! I would love you to leave comments on what you think is a great quilting book.
PS: I know that I was only going to mention five, but a fellow blogger was going to get this book, but didn't, so I am going to mention it. Mastering the Art of Mctavishing, by Karen McTavish, was recommended to me by one of my good friends named Mary who lives in Australia. I just recently got it, and love it. The dvd really illustrates the techniques of Mctavishing very well. It will take a lot of practice, but once mastered, it will allow me to do what I have never been able to do before...use machine quilting effectively in my quilts. You will love the dvd that comes with it...that is what I really sold me on this book.Highly Recommended!
2 comments:
I was recently at the book store and
saw some of those books you recommended, but did not get
any. I may check them out again. I will look forward to reading your older posts.
Hi Micki
There are many wonderful quilt books out there- I always read the story " The Quiltmaker's Gift" to my students in the fall during Read In Week. Even very young children can enjoy the story and I have read it to grade 5/6 students as well as my kindergarten students.
As for books that I have used to make quilts - there are many but here are a set of my favorites.
Here are 5 for you to check out:
Nickel Quilts and More Nickel Quilts by Pat Speth ( they are wonderful designs for 5 inch pieces of fabric)
Colloborative Quilting by Freddy Moran and Gwen Marston( its a thinking about freeing up your designs from traditional patterns and is filled with spectacular color right down to Freddy's great red glasses) Gwen Marston also has a wonderful book called Liberated Quiltmaking that some quilters would like to see reprinted.
Any of the books by Valori and Jean Wells - Valori is Jean's daughter and they are full of spectacular flora and fauna to make wonderful quilts "Stitch and flip quilts" and "Garden Inspired quilts" are two of their titles
Ruth Mcdowell's books- "Piecing" and "Arts and Inspiration" are great for inspiration and techniques
Jinny Beyer's -"Tessellations" is another interesting technique book -like the Freddy Moran book to be absorbed and explored again and again- especially if you enjoy the mathematical/design challenges of quiltmaking.
The last set of books I will recommend are the series of Elm Creek Quilts by Jennifer Chiaverini. The series has a companion book of quilts to make if you so desire but I enjoy the stories - if you like to read about quilting - they are a wonderful read. I currently have the newest title in the series- The Winding Ways Quilt out from the library.
There are other wonderful quilters out there that have produced interesting books that are technique related - Paula Nadelstern's "Kaleidscope Quilts",
Bethany Reynolds "Stack and Whack Quilts", Evelyn Sloppy's" Frayed Edge Fun", and Judy Martin and Nancy Martin " Scrap Quilt" books.
And so the list could go on- it is endless.
Enjoy your quilting time and have fun with your quilt books.
I don't have my own blog but I do enjoy checking other people's out. I found yours on Just Us Quilters list. I shall return and visit your blog again.
Regards from a Western Canadian Quilter,
Anna
Post a Comment