Sunday, August 31, 2008

First Success With Font Engine


I downloaded the password to Font Engine yesterday, and also one alphabet, and got it into Embird. How exciting! it was close to midnight when I did that, so I couldn't try it out till this morning. I was a bit apprehensive that I would not be able to figure it out. I had ordered the Carolyn Keeber tutorial manual too as an E book, so I had that, but i was still anxious about it. My goal was to make a label with the program , and that seemed straight forward enough. Well, there were tons of things that I had to do in Font Engine, which is now loaded into Embird. First, I had to choose a font that i wanted. I now have over 250 fonts which got downloaded from the Windows folder. Gee, if I knew that, I wouldn't have purchased that one font from Secrets of Embroidery. After I picked a font, I had to choose the fill for the text, then adjust the size of the letters and the spacing between the letters, and I chose the colours that I wanted to use. I had to click on the multi-text icon to do the three lines that I wanted to stitch out, and then put it into Editor to pick the hoop that it would fit in and to center it. Finally, I was able to take the saved design with all that I had done, and put it into the Janome 350 E via the flash drive. What fun to watch it stitch out...I used a medium blue for the stitching of the text and then a darker blue to finish off the edging and the three lines were stitched and centered successfully. This was my first attempt at using Font Engine, and boy was it fun. I will be learning all kind of fancy text layouts like putting the text into a wave or circular shape and then putting a design in the middle of the shape..There are lots of wonderful possibilities. I am going to get a card for the parents of baby Lochlann and tell them that for each child that is born, I will make a label for the quilt. How cool is that!

Now, I get to show the quilt and label to the quilting bee on Wednesday, and then Joe will mail it that afternoon, and they should get the quilt in Dublin by Friday. I talked to Mary, who is the grandmother of the newborn baby boy, and she loved the idea of having the quilt in the family for many years to come. That made me feel so special!
As to stabilizers, I used Madeira Stable to iron onto the back of the fairy frost label, and then put Madeira Soft Tearaway in the hoop. I adhered the label to the hoop with KK2000, and then used a basting stich prior to stitching the designs...It worked perfectly.
Finally, Joe surprised me again and purchased 10000 fonts and put them on a dvd. He got them for a ridiculous price. I am definitely set to go.

1 comment:

Karen H said...

wow!What fun you will have!!! It is a good thing your SBS quilt is finished. Just teasing. I know you will totally enjoy all the new technology you have just got.
I hope your day has gone good!!
The butterfly postcard is so pretty, too. It is amazing what you can make when you have the right equipment and skills.
I really do enjoy your choice of music here. Just what I would choose except for Johnny Cash.Got to listen to too much country music at home. Oh well, what can you do?
Have a good day!
Karen