
Let me first say that if I ever won the lottery, I used to think that I would take in tons of strays...I am a sucker for stray animals, who look like they need a home. I always point out a dog or cat to Joe and say that it kills me to see it on the street like that. Well, I have two pets of my own, haven't won any money yet, but I do remember the time that I once did just that.
I just read a wonderful entry on a friend's blog about rescuing a cat, and it brought back the memory of when I decided to help a stray cat that I saw on the street near our apartment. I saw this greyish blue, wild cat,which was really beautiful, and I started to feed it cat food every day.He looked so much like the cat in the pic above. It slowly but surely started to approach me, and then was as friendly as he could be having been out in the wild. I knew that I couldn't take him in, as I had two dogs, but I was determined to find him a home. Joe and I put signs in the local stores and finally a man called us and said that he would be willing to take it. Boy, was I happy about that. Now, I had to get him into a carrier, which we had. That was not easy. He even scratched me and Joe in the process, as we were trying to get him into it. Finally, we did it. The man, named John, was coming in a few hours, and I thought, "Boy, we did it!" He arrived and thought the cat gorgeous. Well, he was ...He was a Russian Blue....I just prayed that it would work out.John called me after a couple of days, and said that the cat was hiding all the time under his computer desk...It seemed to be hanging around him all the time and would have nothing to do with the family. John said that he seemed a bit wild.,...not a very friendly sort. Well, unfortunately, one day, he escaped from their home, never to be seen again. I was heartbroken, and said to myself that I would never attempt that again.... never is a long time..., but I probably won't do it again. I wish that it had been a happy ending, but it wasn't.
Well, we did rescue our two boys, ...Charlie and Rufus....and that had a wonderful ending...both of them have given us so much back. We are so glad that we rescued them!
P.S:Oh, when I said that we would never do it again...We didn't take this animal in...it was a sheep this time...but Joe and I were taking a walk on a road where there were beautiful cottages, and opposite them was a field of sheep. Well, one little sheep got out of the field area through a small opening. I told Joe that he would have to rescue it. You should have seen us try to corner it...like Laurel and Hardy..Joe finally got the sheep, lifted it up to put it over the fence. I first gave it a pat...the sheep was shaking with fear.... and then Joe put the sheep down.We watched it joyfully running to his mother. Yes, I guess we are both suckers for animals in need of help. When you see that pic above, how could you resist? I know we can't!LOL
No comments:
Post a Comment