I had always wanted to get into machine embroidery. I saved up for the Janome 350E for several months, and at long last I was able to order it from David Drummond in Edinburgh, Scotland. I got Embird Software and supplies that I needed, and finally the machine arrived. I have to admit that I was very intimidated to even start the machine, and it was scary learning how to do everything with the Janome, but at the same time it was one of the most exciting experiences ever. I decided to do Joe's t-shirt. Oh my God! I was going to have to use the clothsetter to help me position the horse design. I decided to go for it. I used a cutaway and then used a sticky stabilizer to stick the t shirt to the hoop...heck you couldn't hoop the darn thing. Boy, this was not going to be easy. Jeri, who had been so helpful with the whole learning process, told me step by step what to do in an email from Fla. Ok, I could follow directions, and she was so good at describing what I had to do, so I could do it...right? Well, I finally got the t-shirt situated on the hoop, picked out all of the colours that I needed. Boy did I need a lot of colours! That meant tons of thread changes. What was I getting myself into? I had taught myself Embird with the help of Carolyn Keeber's tutorial, and so I manipulated the design and did what I had to do and then saved it. I put the design on the thumb drive, put it into my Janome, and then I was set to go. It started stitching....I was watching in utter fear. Then I saw that it was working...not only working, but it was turning out perfectly. I was thrilled. Well, I was bitten by the bug as they say, and I was finding out that I was loving it. I used machine embroidery for my fabric postcards, to make beautiful lace items, for making bags, and the list goes on.
Now, I love the challenge of learning all about which stabilizers to use, and I am thoroughly enjoying learning Embird. Next month, I will be getting the plug in called Font Engine, and I can't wait to incorporate phrases with my designs...that will be so much fun. I am already planning on labels that I will make for my quilts and dozens of other things that I can do with my machine embroidery. Oh yes, I want to also incorporate the machine embellisher with the embroidery machine, and can see endless possibilites with that too. I am thrilled that I am learning machine embroidery, and it has opened up a very exciting world to me. I have to thank Jeri from the bottom of my heart for all of her help. Also, thanks to Mary in Australia for all of her wonderful advice.
1 comment:
Mickilene,
You are so welcome. I know of the "utter fear" you describe. But I'm very proud of you! You've jumped in with both feet and you're doing a fabulous job. I'm so glad you like it. Always here to help.
Jeri
Post a Comment