Today, I got an email from Christina Henri, who I wrote about yesterday concerning the Irish Convict Project. I was given a list from her to adopt an Irish Convict. There was only one Butler on the list, and of course, I chose her. Her name is Judith Butler, and in 1831, in the city of Kilkenny, she was tried and convicted of the crime of stealing a pig.She was given a 7 year prison term. She was shipped that year of 1831 to Australia with her child, and sadly died in 1831 in Parramatta, at the young age of 34 years. It was amazing that all these events occurred in the same year. It also states that she worked as a dairy maid. I looked up Parramatta, and it is in New South Wales, Australia.
How very sad and tragic! I thought to myself that it was so unfair and criminal what was done to her, and my heart went out to her and all those women involved. The ship that she was transported on was called the Hooghly. I will be making a bonnet for Judith, and I am in the process of thinking of which fabric that I want to use. I will be using either white on white or creme,and will incorporate some machine embroidery. The project has also been called the Roses From the Heart Project, so of course, I will have to find designs of roses to put on it. Many people are embroidering the name of the Irish Convict, the ship she was on, the year she was shipped, and in Judith's case, it was also the year that she died. I have run the pattern off, and now I am in the planning stage. I am very excited about my involvement in the project and of my adoption of Judith Butler.
PS:
How very sad and tragic! I thought to myself that it was so unfair and criminal what was done to her, and my heart went out to her and all those women involved. The ship that she was transported on was called the Hooghly. I will be making a bonnet for Judith, and I am in the process of thinking of which fabric that I want to use. I will be using either white on white or creme,and will incorporate some machine embroidery. The project has also been called the Roses From the Heart Project, so of course, I will have to find designs of roses to put on it. Many people are embroidering the name of the Irish Convict, the ship she was on, the year she was shipped, and in Judith's case, it was also the year that she died. I have run the pattern off, and now I am in the planning stage. I am very excited about my involvement in the project and of my adoption of Judith Butler.
PS:
My post on the bonnet that I created magically disappeared from sight on my blog, so I am posting the bonnet that I made here now, as it was a treasured memory for me. I machine embroidered it and loved making it so much, as it was for a cause that was close to my heart.
Whenver we walk past the Famine Graveyard, which is near our home, I am reminded of my Irish convict. It is nice to know that Judith Butler will be remembered through this bonnet.
Here it is
:
Here it is
3 comments:
Mickilene,
This is unknown to me. Exactly what is the Convict Program? I didn't know it had to do with history. I love history so you've piqued my interest.
Jeri
Good for you Micki .. I recently did a similar thing here with a project for a small community group in Queensland Australia .. the convicts had a shocking life here .. and there is a lot we will never know about ... I am proud of our Irish heritage .. cos they are the ones who made this country great ... there is a place called Port Arthur in Tasmania ... such a beautiful place but ... the blood sweat and I dare say many tears that went into building it ... oh the total inhumanity of it all .. i cry when i think of it ... what they went through ... yes ... it would have been horrible ... and all because of the politics in England at the time .... i must email you and we can chat about it ...
Dear Micki,
Thank you for sharing the information that you are making a convict bonnet tribute for a female convict. Any one who is interested please look at Christina's website
www.christinahenri.com.au
Christina Henri will be interviewed on the Irish RAdio Program coming out of Ryde, NSW FM 88.5 on Tuesday evening 26th August at 6.30pm onwards,
by Steve.
In 2010 Christina will be bringing 'the girls' back home to Ireland, England, Scotland and Wales. In 2011 touring Canada, USA and New Zealand. Keep an eye on her website for more particulars.
Post a Comment